Sign in with
Your question

New Biostar motherboard boot issue

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2010 1:51:18 PM

I just rebuilt my system with the below equipment & setup. The system will not post reliably when booting / rebooting. I can often take as many as 5 attempts to get a successful boot. When unsuccessful, the screen stays black, no beep, etc. I have upgraded the BIOS to the latest version per Biostar. Any other suggestions? The system runs great once booted.

Biostar MCP6P M2+ motherboard
AMD Athlon II X2 240 processor
PCIe video
OCZ DDR2 2x 2GB RAM (OCZ2P10664GK)
430W Power supply
Win 7 64 bit

More about : biostar motherboard boot issue

a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2010 5:06:52 PM

After flashing the bios, did you set all settings to default?
m
l
July 17, 2010 5:45:17 PM

Nils said:
After flashing the bios, did you set all settings to default?

I just tried resetting to default, and this did not resolve the boot issue. It did remind me that I had to change the Halt On setting change in order to avoid the following error message:

"Warning! Now System is in Safe Mode. Please re-setting CPU Frequency in the CMOS setup"
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 17, 2010 10:13:44 PM

Have you changed anything on your configuration like cpu or ram?
m
l
July 18, 2010 11:26:43 AM

It's all new. The only hardware from my previous setup is the hard drive.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 2:38:12 PM

Did you have the same problems before flashing?
m
l
July 20, 2010 2:50:05 PM

Nils said:
Did you have the same problems before flashing?

Yes, the exact same problems were present before flashing the BIOS. I have also swapped power supplies, and removing my 1 PCI add-on card, and these did not resolve the issues.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 4:00:44 PM

Then it looks like a motherboard issue to me. If it's not too old, you can use the warranty of the shop and change it for a new one. Something must have gone wrong while rebuilding it.

Maybe try these things anyways (if you haven't already):

-resetting bios by removing battery for 1/2 minute
-reseating cpu, ram and vga, making sure there no dust or other dirt on the connections. Clean out the ram and vga slots as well.
-booting with only a minimum of components (cpu,ram,mobo,vga,psu. No more than that). Try with the ram in all possible configs: dimms in slots with color1, dimms in slots with color2, one in color1 other in color2, using both dimms alone ...
m
l
!