shrapnel92

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I've had my PC for more than a year now, I'm running;

Windows 7 Home Premium 64
Intel Core2 Quad Q6600 2.4ghz (no OC)
4GB Corsair XMS2 DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT

Just recently my computer has started overheating when I play certain games, I initially thought that it was a CPU issue, so I bought and installed the Corsair H50 cooling system, it works fine and my CPU stays nice and cool. However I've since discovered that it's the heatsink on my motherboard, using Everest I've seen that it's temperature of my motherboard consistently remains 20 degrees higher than my CPU. The computer just powers off after a certain amount of time of gaming.
Also as an extra I've noticed that my RAM becomes hot to the touch, but I think that is more an issue of poor air circulation.
Any advice will be welcomed, and if more information is required then please ask :)

shrapnel92

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hi there, sorry about the lateness of my reply, I thought I had fixed the issue.
After I discovered that the Corsair H50 wasn't helping I bought a new case, an Aerocool PGS VX-E Pro, with 5 fans (2 intake, 3 exhaust) I thought that this would finally fix the issue with some better air circulation. However just now I was playing a game (with all the fans running on max) and to my dismay my PC overheated again, or at least I thought it did.
I popped off the side panel to feel the temperature of the components and neither my CPU, my motherboard heatsink, my RAM, my PSU or my HDD were particularly hot!
I just have no idea what's going on and it's really bugging me because I've spent about £120 trying to fix this issue so far.
Also temperature-wise my motherboard was overheating when it got to 60 degrees Celsius, and as far as I could tell no other component was overheating at all.
Thanks in anticipation.