Reboot Nightmare

I was using McAfee virus removal instructions to reboot in
safemode using winconfig, and checking the always reboot in
safemode option. Unfortunately, safemode will not boot and
continues to attempt to reboot over and over. F8 does not
seem to override either, when i try to set option to boot
in normal mode. Any words of wisdom that doesn't involve
"reinstall"? Any help appreciated.

"K P" <perry32@aol.com> wrote in message
>I was using McAfee virus removal instructions to reboot in
> safemode using winconfig, and checking the always reboot in
> safemode option. Unfortunately, safemode will not boot and
> continues to attempt to reboot over and over. F8 does not
> seem to override either, when i try to set option to boot
> in normal mode. Any words of wisdom that doesn't involve
> "reinstall"? Any help appreciated.

Is "winconfig" part of McAfee or something you installed separately? It's
not a Windows app. So you might need to go back to McAfee to find out how to
undo what they told you to do.

If you mean msconfig, all that does is add /safeboot to the startup line in
the boot.ini file. You'll need to boot from your XP cd, get to the recovery
console, and edit that line to get rid of the safeboot reference.