I5 or i7

vsprabhash

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Hai,

I am planning to buy a laptop, please help me for chose...
which following configuration is better for my multimedia purpose..

Processor Intel® Core™ i7-720QM (1.6GHz, 4 Cores/8 Threads, turbo up to 2.8 GHz, 6MB Cache)
Memory 4GB (2GBx2) 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM
512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570

or

Intel® Core™ i5-540M Processor (2.53GHz, 4 Thread, turbo boost up to 3.06GHz, 3M cache)

6GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 2GB + 1 x 4GB) (Work at 1066MHz for Intel Arrandale CPU)
ATI Mobility Radeon™ HD 5470 - 1GB

vsprabhash@gmail.com

DarthPiggie

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
The i5 is better for laptops. It's a higher clocked dual-core (almost twice the clock speed). Less pwoer consumption, 4 threads on top of that. It comes with integrated GPU on the die as well. It's just great for power-consumption AND performance. Stick with it, its more lean and efficient.

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008

Agree, Also if you are looking to play tons of games like Crysis, Half-life 3 (coming soon), Need For Speed Shift, MW2, Etc.
The Intel i5 is gamer friendly and was mass produce for the gamer. Even-thou The Intel i7 would be a good choice but most for industry
usage like Film Production and rendering. (I'm am Going to Buy my next system on the Intel i7 for that reason only).

You can research this information yourself of I can provide it for you here: http://www.techspot.com/review/193-intel-core-i5-750/
Remember their are more than one CPU of the Intel i5 , (530) or 500 series) 600 series - Dual Core with Hyper-Threading technology on a 32nm processor at retail prices from $200 - $269.99. Yes their Clock Ratio is higher than the Quad Core and i7 CPU's on The New Intel 500-600 series Dual Cores but you want something that would be very long term for a up coming future of the technology world that lies ahead.

(Note) Intel i5 for notebook would be a excellent idea) Sorry If I got off the wrong pace here for a second.
For an notebook computer I would seek an Intel i5 530 for more than a number of reason.

I would surely vote for the Intel i5 540M.
In one year soon game developers should be on the move in developing games are the Multi-cores functions. Games have come a long way but in the last 3 years have been also becoming up to pace with the demands of technology. But Game would operated on the new 32nm Dual core with easiest..

That is when you want to think about what is best for your pocket. Also the Intel i5 Turbo Boost for any applications is such a wonderful idea , along with the HT . Also is one of the many exciting new features that Intel has built into latest generation microarchitecture codename Nehalem. It automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power. With Virtualization Technology that can also give you a reduces in interrupt overhead , up to 35% performance gain and up to 40% faster boot time.

But also note I want you to ask around as well on Tomshardware. You have some very educated people here that would help you.
Note that I might not be right about any information and this is why I would continue to ask around here.
Thank you are reading and taking the time to understand.