Sign in with
Your question

Need assistance with 2600K offset overclocking

Last response: in Overclocking
July 8, 2012 6:14:42 AM

I've finally decided to overclock my 2600K with an offset voltage (manual does not drop Vcore while SpeedStep is on). My main settings are as follows (I prefer saving power**):

- Multiplier: 45
- SpeedStep Enabled
- All C-states Enabled
*- Vcore: offset (+) and Auto
(Everything else is pretty much on auto)

First of all, I'm having a few confusion issues regarding CPU-Z and RealTemp (and similar temperature programs):

- 1st issue: With the above settings on IDLE, CPU-Z shows the speed as 1600MHz for the most part and then for a couple of seconds it shows 4500MHz (not constantly 1.6GHz on idle), not to mention fluctuating voltages (all above 1.000v).

- 2nd issue: I know the maximum TDP for the 2600K is 95W, but in RealTemp under FULL LOAD (with Prime95), it shows a power of over 95W (particularly 97W-100W). Is this dangerous? Is it something not to worry about? I'm really afraid.

- 3rd issue: This is related to the 2nd issue... In RealTemp, on idle, it doesn't read a clock of 1600MHz. Instead it reads a fluctuating speed mainly around 2000MHz - 3000MHz (also exceeding 4000MHz). Is this also normal?

By the way this isn't only in RealTemp, but also in other programs like CoreTemp...

In conclusion, I really want someone to tell me about the three issues AND consider my BIOS settings, particularly the offset setting which I don't understand at all.

At the moment, I'll restore my settings to default. If you have any suggestions for my settings (and other settings), please inform me.

Thank you!

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 8:23:51 PM

1st make sure you have nothing running or scanning or downloading in the background that will work your cpu.

Get HWMonitor http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486...

Set your cpu voltage to auto then run Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test and see what you cpu voltage jumps to.

Then go and set that voltage manually in the bios.

You then need to increase your offset voltage in steps until you are stable, run an hr or prime and 5 tests of Intel Burn on max.

Your offset voltage will only kick in when the cpu is called upon to run at the turbo speed you have set.

You will see your increase cpu voltage if you run the tests with HWMon open.

This way when not under load the cpu should return to 1600mhz until needed again.

Confusing but hope this helps a bit.
m
l
Related resources
July 8, 2012 8:51:30 PM

beanoslim said:
1st make sure you have nothing running or scanning or downloading in the background that will work your cpu.

Get HWMonitor http://download.cnet.com/HWMonitor/3000-2094_4-10793486...

Set your cpu voltage to auto then run Prime 95 or Intel Burn Test and see what you cpu voltage jumps to.

Then go and set that voltage manually in the bios.

You then need to increase your offset voltage in steps until you are stable, run an hr or prime and 5 tests of Intel Burn on max.

Your offset voltage will only kick in when the cpu is called upon to run at the turbo speed you have set.

You will see your increase cpu voltage if you run the tests with HWMon open.

This way when not under load the cpu should return to 1600mhz until needed again.

Confusing but hope this helps a bit.

Alright.. I have a stable OC at 4.5GHz with manual Vcore at 1.315 (in BIOS). The thing is, I want to save power. So I decided to get into offset mode. I know now that the (-) negative sign subtracts the manual Offset voltage from the AUTO (or original) offset voltage. But, I don't know how to start. The minimum offset voltage is 0.005v, and the increments are by 0.005v. So if I start at -0.005v and find it stable, I should go to -0.010v and so on. This starts to get quite annoying... So what I was thinking is: if my offset voltage on full load is 1.380 (in CPU-Z), should I just subtract 0.100v in the offset right away? (on my stable OC of 4.5GHz, my Vcore in CPU-Z is 1.296v).
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 8:56:06 PM

Read my link that I posted that explains it, but offsets work off of VID, NOT actual CPU Vcore, so that's where it takes a bit of trial and error to know what VID your chip has at a specific speed. 0.100 would be A LOT in either direction. You should only need to go to +/- 0.050 either way for 4.5 (usually +, but -0.010 would be great, actually). I need +0.020 for my 2500K, which gives me 1.328V, but it won't be the same for you.

Awesome about reading it, now to actually understand it, lol.
m
l
July 8, 2012 8:58:47 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Read my link that I posted that explains it, but offsets work off of VID, NOT actual CPU Vcore, so that's where it takes a bit of trial and error to know what VID your chip has at a specific speed. 0.100 would be A LOT in either direction. You should only need to go to +/- 0.050 either way for 4.5 (usually +, but -0.010 would be great, actually).

Awesome about reading it, now to actually understand it, lol.

but doesn't + add more voltage? On auto offset voltage, while on 100% load, the Vcore is like 1.37 (as I said) - which is really high. So I'd like it to be less...
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:03:02 PM

+ DOES add more voltage, but it's not linear. I just edited my reply above to say this, but I need to use a +0.020 which gives me 1.328V for my 2500K at 4.5, but it won't be the same for you. You'll just have to try it and see. I can't use - offsets at 4.5 for my chip (it drops the Vcore down to the 1.250V range even at -0.005, which isn't stable for me (won't even boot)).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:04:42 PM

You need to find your default cpu voltage how I mentioned earlier.

For example if your default voltage under load jumps to 1.25v and you know your stable OC voltage needs to be 1.3v your offset will be +0.05v.

You can double check the cpu voltages using HWMonitor until it levels out to what you are after.

Speedstep will reduce your idle voltage to around 0.98v but will push it up to your default load voltage under load.

You just need to use the offset voltage to add voltage to your default voltage when the OC'd turbo multiplier kicks in.
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:11:30 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
+ DOES add more voltage, but it's not linear. I just edited my reply above to say this, but I need to use a +0.020 which gives me 1.328V for my 2500K at 4.5, but it won't be the same for you. You'll just have to try it and see. I can't use - offsets at 4.5 for my chip (it drops the Vcore down to the 1.250V range even at -0.005, which isn't stable for me (won't even boot)).

So anything lower than +0.020 for you results in lack of stability?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:13:14 PM

Yozer34 said:
So anything lower than +0.020 for you results in lack of stability?

Yep, below that and it crashes under stress testing, and with a - offset, it just doesn't load Windows at all, but I can almost guarantee that it won't be the same for you. VID's are set differently on every chip.

I should add this though, I don't use LLC because my board doesn't have levels, just enabled/disabled/auto and enabled gives the CPU WAY too much voltage, so my load voltage is REALLY 1.277V. Still needs to be 1.328V for normal use stability though.
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:17:04 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Yep, below that and it crashes under stress testing, and with a - offset, it just doesn't load Windows at all, but I can almost guarantee that it won't be the same for you. VID's are set differently on every chip.

My 4.5GHz OC is stable at 1.296v (as it shows in CPU-Z) .. which is 1.315V in bios.
So right now I should start at -0.005V offset and see.. if it is above 1.296v, then I should go onto -0.010v.. is that correct?

And 2 quick questions please :D  . .

1. What about the 3 C-states?

2. You know in Windows 7 Power options, if you're a gamer, what percentage for the Minimum processor state should you set? Right now mine's at 100%... I think it sucks cuz the CPU is working all the time.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:18:48 PM

Yozer34 said:
My 4.5GHz OC is stable at 1.296v (as it shows in CPU-Z) .. which is 1.315V in bios.
So right now I should start at -0.005V offset and see.. if it is above 1.296v, then I should go onto -0.010v.. is that correct?

Yes, but your BIOS may tell you that your voltage is <1.2 when you use offsets (it does for me). For me at least, I only see the REAL voltage in Windows.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:23:00 PM

You need to have your cpu voltage set to auto if you are going to use speedstep.

Thats why you need to discover your default load voltage then +voltage in the offset under Turbo load.

Are you saying that you have your cpu voltage set to 1.315v in bios?
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:25:13 PM

beanoslim said:
You need to have your cpu voltage set to auto if you are going to use speedstep.

Thats why you need to discover your default load voltage then +voltage in the offset under Turbo load.

Are you saying that you have your cpu voltage set to 1.315v in bios?

Yes, manual voltage though, not offset. I overclocked to 4.5GHz and anything below 1.315v is unstable.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:25:46 PM

beanoslim said:

Doing it that way didn't really work out for me though. I ended up needing MUCH less voltage than I thought I did using that method.
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:27:33 PM

beanoslim said:

I really don't understand what you mean. Can you be more specific please? :D 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:29:55 PM

Yozer34 said:
I really don't understand what you mean. Can you be more specific please? :D 

He means set the voltage to Auto and see what voltage it gives you under load at stock. You can do that for the OC too, though. It just didn't work out very well for me, which is why I didn't recommend it.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:31:36 PM

Well it seems like your doing it back to front to me.

Find the minimum default load voltage.

Set cpu voltage to auto so speedstep works ok.

Up your turbo multiplier with a +offset voltage to find stabilty.

Worked fine for me anyway, my cpu drops to 0.98v when idle then jumps to 1.31v with a turbo of x48 and a +0.1v offset.

Any way no harm in trying different methods. :D 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:35:47 PM

Yozer34 said:
Yes, manual voltage though, not offset. I overclocked to 4.5GHz and anything below 1.315v is unstable.

So how will your cpu reduce voltage if you have it manually set to 1.315v.

I thought the whole idea was to leave it at default/auto for lower voltage/speedstep.

Then set your offset voltage to your OC'd voltage, in your case 1.315v.

So if your default load voltage turns out to be 1.2v your +offset voltage would be +0.115v.

Sorry if I'm confusing the issue its just that this way worked so well for me and seems pretty straight forward.
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:38:09 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
He means set the voltage to Auto and see what voltage it gives you under load at stock. You can do that for the OC too, though. It just didn't work out very well for me, which is why I didn't recommend it.

So even on a multiplier of 45, set the OFFSET voltage to AUTO? + or - ? And then find the Vcore under 100% load in CPU-Z... exactly what I did, and got like 1.370V in CPUZ.

And what exactly is the other method?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:42:44 PM

beanoslim said:
So if your default load voltage turns out to be 1.2v your +offset voltage would be +0.115v.

The + offset isn't linear though. It doesn't add exactly 0.115, it's usually a lot more than that, in my experience.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:43:20 PM

Nope set everything to default/autos, forget offset voltages.

Find the default cpu voltage under load.

Then add to that voltage whatever is needed to get to your 1.315v by using the +offset voltage.

That way when the turbo multiplier isn't in use the cpu will drop to 1600mhz and the voltage will drop with it.

m
l
July 8, 2012 9:45:47 PM

beanoslim said:
So how will your cpu reduce voltage if you have it manually set to 1.315v.

I thought the whole idea was to leave it at default/auto for lower voltage/speedstep.

Then set your offset voltage to your OC'd voltage, in your case 1.315v.

Sorry if I'm confusing the issue its just that this way worked so well for me and seems pretty straight forward.

Okay okay.. on my OC right NOW, before saving power, it's set to manual 1.315v. I wanna save power so I set it to offset (for me, theres only offset mode and manual mode, offset to save power and manual for constant voltage).

When I set it to offset, I left the Offset voltage to AUTO, with a + sign. (this is still at 45x turbo). DjDecibel's method is to find the maximum voltage in CPU-Z under full load while OVERCLOCKED, yours is to find the maximum voltage in CPU-Z under full load on STOCK CLOCK... am i correct? hence, two methods.

"So if your default load voltage turns out to be 1.2v your +offset voltage would be +0.115v."

My voltage in the bios is set to 1.315v. My voltage in CPU-Z is 1.296v. You're talking about the bios voltages that I should check?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:46:01 PM

beanoslim said:
That way when the turbo multiplier isn't in use the cpu will drop to 1600mhz and the voltage will drop with it.

With my board, I HAVE to use offsets, but I would anyway for that very reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:46:08 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
The + offset isn't linear though. It doesn't add exactly 0.115, it's usually a lot more than that, in my experience.

Yeah I found that too but by loading up HWMon and checking load voltages it was quite easy to find the desired voltage.

I'm just wondering how the cpu would reduce voltage when idle if its manually set in bios? Surely it has to be on auto?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:49:04 PM

beanoslim said:
I'm just wondering how the cpu would reduce voltage when idle if its manually set in bios? Surely it has to be on auto?

It wouldn't with a manual voltage (even if the speed did change with SpeedStep). That's the main advantage to using offsets, IMO.
m
l
July 8, 2012 9:52:58 PM

Alright can you guys look at my last post? :( 

I'm honestly having a headache right now.. my board is Asus, so theres only offset or manual.. nothing else.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:54:23 PM

Yozer34 said:
Okay okay.. on my OC right NOW, before saving power, it's set to manual 1.315v. I wanna save power so I set it to offset (for me, theres only offset mode and manual mode, offset to save power and manual for constant voltage).

When I set it to offset, I left the Offset voltage to AUTO, with a + sign. (this is still at 45x turbo). DjDecibel's method is to find the maximum voltage in CPU-Z under full load while OVERCLOCKED, yours is to find the maximum voltage in CPU-Z under full load on STOCK CLOCK... am i correct? hence, two methods.

"So if your default load voltage turns out to be 1.2v your +offset voltage would be +0.115v."

My voltage in the bios is set to 1.315v. My voltage in CPU-Z is 1.296v. You're talking about the bios voltages that I should check?

My offset voltage deals with my OC.

When Speedstep is enabled to get it to work properly the cpu voltage needs to be set to auto so it can automatically reduce and increase voltages.

Now, my default load voltage will only deal with my default turbo clock speed 3.4ghz.

When I set my Turbo to 48 I obviously need more voltage which is where my +offset voltage needs to kick in.

Therefore I have used my +offset voltage to increase the cpu voltage when the turbo x48 multiplier kicks in.

Otherwise its idle @1.6ghz and speedstep deals with it as per normal.

I can only think that your board doesn't use the offset the same as mine.

m
l
July 8, 2012 9:58:16 PM

beanoslim said:
My offset voltage deals with my OC.

When Speedstep is enabled to get it to work properly the cpu voltage needs to be set to auto so it can automatically reduce and increase voltages.

Now, my default load voltage will only deal with my default turbo clock speed 3.4ghz.

When I set my Turbo to 48 I obviously need more voltage which is where my +offset voltage needs to kick in.

Therefore I have used my +offset voltage to increase the cpu voltage when the turbo x48 multiplier kicks in.

Otherwise its idle @1.6ghz and speedstep deals with it as per normal.

I can only think that your board doesn't use the offset the same as mine.

As I said, my board does not feature an "auto voltage", just offset or manual. In this case, I'm using offset because as you said it won't keep a high voltage for lower speeds.
So I jump to offset right away, theres no auto. however, there is AUTO voltage for offset voltage, instead of just setting one on your own.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:58:41 PM

beanoslim said:
Yeah I found that too but by loading up HWMon and checking load voltages it was quite easy to find the desired voltage.

Actually, I just thought about something. The voltage would drop under load because of Vdroop if you don't have LLC enabled or set to a high setting.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 9:58:44 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
It wouldn't with a manual voltage (even if the speed did change with SpeedStep). That's the main advantage to using offsets, IMO.

Right, so you are using the -offset to reduce your speedstep idle speed, is this right?

I have a headache too. :pt1cable: 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:02:07 PM

Yozer34 said:
As I said, my board does not feature an "auto voltage", just offset or manual. In this case, I'm using offset because as you said it won't keep a high voltage for lower speeds.
So I jump to offset right away, theres no auto. however, there is AUTO voltage for offset voltage, instead of just setting one on your own.

I have a P67 Sabertooth and it has a seperate voltage setting for the cpu and then another setting for the offset voltages.

I have my cpu set to auto then as explained earlier my +offset increases auto load values to whatever I set it to to deal with the OC'd turbo multiplier.

m
l
July 8, 2012 10:02:17 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Actually, I just thought about something. The voltage would drop under load because of Vdroop if you don't have LLC enabled or set to a high setting.

Okay, I think I'm just gonna stick to Manual for now.. this is way too confusing with the + or - offset, and even LLC now.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:02:18 PM

Yozer34 said:

I have an Asus board too, and it's the same way (minus the option for a manual voltage. Stupid P8Z68-V LE BIOS).

It's either Auto, or use an offset voltage (not a separate setting).
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:04:33 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:

I have low/medium/high/very high and extreme to choose from on the Sabertooth.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:05:43 PM

beanoslim said:
I have low/medium/high/very high and extreme to choose from on the Sabertooth.

Yea same, but how do you decide on what value to choose from? According to Asus, they say they recommend 75 percent, or very high in this case
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:06:14 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
I have an Asus board too, and it's the same way (minus the option for a manual voltage. Stupid P8Z68-V LE BIOS).

It's either Auto, or use an offset voltage (not a separate setting).

Right don't listen to me any more then, listen to him^ :hello: 
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:06:37 PM

beanoslim said:
Right, so you are using the -offset to reduce your speedstep idle speed, is this right?

I have a headache too. :pt1cable: 

Actually, I use a +0.020 offset for 4.5, but yes, like you, it allows the voltage to drop to ~0.9V at idle.

And like I said above somewhere (lol), I have to keep LLC disabled because I only have enabled/disabled/auto settings and enabled gives me WAY too much voltage for whatever reason.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:09:24 PM

Yozer34 said:
Yea same, but how do you decide on what value to choose from? According to Asus, they say they recommend 75 percent, or very high in this case

<4.7ghz leave on defaults but set VRM freq to 350.

>4.7ghz

Phase control Extreme (try very high)
Duty control Extreme (try very high)
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:10:21 PM

Yozer34 said:

You can use whatever you want that's stable, honestly. The lowest stable load voltage the better, so less a aggressive LLC setting isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My chip is odd though that it takes 1.328V to be stable at basically idle (crashes browsing the web at anything less), but it's still stable stress testing at 1.277V

Anyway, just try a -0.005 offset to see what that gives you and go up or down from there. That should be a decent starting point.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:13:33 PM

DJDeCiBeL said:
You can use whatever you want that's stable, honestly. The lowest stable load voltage the better, so less a aggressive LLC setting isn't necessarily a bad thing.

My chip is odd though that it takes 1.328V to be stable at basically idle, but it's still stable stress testing at 1.277V

Anyway, just try a -0.005 offset to see what that gives you and go up or down from there. That should be a decent starting point.

Okay, thanks for making it staightforward.. the lower offset, the better... but as long as the system is stable.. correct??
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:14:55 PM

I've gotta say that this is the 1st board I've had with this function and I think its well worth the effort setting up.

Previous overclocks used to just sit overclocked and overvolted when idle resulting in more heat and less lifespan for components.

I would suggest loading up with different settings including llc and making a note of various voltages and temps and stability.

It will take some time to find the right mix but IMO a worthwhile venture.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:15:11 PM

Yozer34 said:
Okay, thanks for making it staightforward.. the lower offset, the better... but as long as the system is stable.. correct??

Yep.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:16:53 PM

I'm just going to follow the Asus's offset guide.
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:17:59 PM

beanoslim said:
I've gotta say that this is the 1st board I've had with this function and I think its well worth the effort setting up.

Previous overclocks used to just sit overclocked and overvolted when idle resulting in more heat and less lifespan for components.

I would suggest loading up with different settings including llc and making a note of various voltages and temps and stability.

Totally agree. It's a bit of a headache to figure it out, but it's worth it. I don't understand why more guides don't go into offsets. I guess it's because it's confusing for everyone, lol.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:18:26 PM

beanoslim said:

This is what Asus had to say : "We recommend that you set Load-line Calibration to 75% if using Offset Mode to control Vcore."
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:20:31 PM

By the way, what is you Minimum Processor state set at in Windows?
m
l
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 10:22:33 PM

Yozer34 said:
By the way, what is you Minimum Processor state set at in Windows?

20% with Balanced, but it doesn't really matter. Even 50% still let's it clock down to 1.6 for me.
m
l
July 8, 2012 10:23:28 PM

will it affect performance if it's lower? mine's at 5%
m
l
!