Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Gigabyte 965P-DS3 ignores boot priority?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2010 5:17:07 PM

My Gigabyte 965P-DS3 ignores boot priority. This motherboard uses the standard Award BIOS in which you can set 3 boot device and their order. I set it to (1) USB-HD, (2) CDROM, (3) Harddrisk.
Alternately, at the Gigabyte Startup Screen the following runs across the bottom of the screen:
TAB: Post Screen; DEL: Bios Setip/Q-flash; F9: Xpress recovery 2; F12: Boot Menu; and END: Q-flash
Boot menu (F12) allows changing the boot sequence without entering the BIOS setup.

No matter what I try, it ALWAYS tries to boot my SATA Harddisk first. Thus, I cannot boot the USB-HD (which stores all of my boot utilities). I have to pull the harddrive's power or the SATA cable before booting. To image/restore the HD, I have to put it in an external USB dock. I didn't have to do this before - it just started a few days ago.

I built this computer almost 3 years ago. It has worked good except for warm boot problems (it will NOT warm boot -0 I always have to wait 15 minutes for it to cool down before rebooting). I've always ran this system overclocked, but this problem occurs whether its o/c'ed or not. I have highly sufficient cooling - CPU maxes at about 46 C, system a few degrees higher.

My setup:
MB: Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev 1.33 with F13 BIOS
PS: Antec 520W TruPower (brand-new)
CPU: Intel E2160 @ 1.8GHz (o/c'ed to 3.15GHz at stock voltage)
CPU Cooling: Noctua NC-12 (the big boy)
RAM: Patriot DDR2 800 Mhz (2 x 2GB)
HD: SATA 750GB Seagate
Video: Radeon 5770 (also tried Intel GMA on-board)
Optical: Asus & Pioneer DVRs (both SATA)

Things I've tried:
- Safe BIOS settings. No overclocking anything.
- Every combination of SATA cables and SATA ports.
- RAM is OK (low level diagnostics ran)
- Power supply is brand new. (I was having other problems and thought it was power - it wasn't)
- Ran some low-level motherboard diagnostics - everything checks OK (however, can't check SATA as the computer will _not_ boot to anything other than SATA harddisk)
- Disconnected _everything_ (USB headers, audio header, IDE PATA drive) - behavior is unchanged
- Tried various BIOS settings - safe, AHCI (which I've never used) - no change
- Reset BIOS via jumper on motherboard - no change
- Tried Radeon X600 video card - no change
- CMOS battery seems OK - it holds settings after being disconnected from power overnight

I am guessing at this point that the Gigabyte motherboard has just gone bad and developed this unfriendly quirk.
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
July 17, 2010 8:35:47 PM

Have you tried flashing the bios? Also, have you tried hitting F12 to bring up the boot menu and selecting your usb-hd?
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 17, 2010 10:11:49 PM

To get a GB to 'see' a USB stick at boot, you must have the stick formatted to FAT-32, and, on the "Integrated Peripherals" page of the BIOS, the "USB Controller", "USB 2.0 Controller", "Legacy USB storage detect", and likely "USB Keyboard Support" items all need to be "Enabled"; also, have you succeeded with this stick prior to this problem? If it's a new stick, there are some that the GB BIOS just 'doesn't like', and simply won't work - or worse, can corrupt CMOS...
m
l
Related resources
July 18, 2010 2:16:10 AM

jdog2pt0> I haven't tried reflashing - I will post an update after I try it. I have tried the F12 boot menu - I just failed to mention it. It just completely ignores even that!

bilbat> I am not booting a USB stick, but a USB harddrive. It boots that harddrive just fine - but only if I disconnect the SATA harddisk.

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
July 18, 2010 2:54:01 AM

Ackk - dammit - the Tom's 'search' facility and I just can't seem to cooperate - I can never find anything!! I'm not positive what the original problem was, but someone, I believe, just reported some kind of wierd boot order problem, and GB tech told him to insert 'boot from bootable card' (or whatever the wording is - it's not documented in the manuals, so I always have to reboot to look at it to get the wording - and I can't right now...) as the second item. I remember the incident, 'cause it made me thing, once again, "I'd kill for source code to a modern BIOS!" - anyhow - something to try...

What I know about booting GB's from a USB HDD could be engraved on the head of a pin, and leave room for the Gettysburg address, but I do have one, it's not currently doing anything, 'cause I just fried a router, and haven't gotten the new one to 'like' it - and a lot of the movies on it have been recoded anyhow - if the problem persists, I could probably fit in some testing tomorrow or Monday...

m
l
July 18, 2010 4:22:18 AM

bilbat> I will try that and report back....

Funny thing is, this board was working OK (as good as it always has - read below) until just a few days ago. I never has a boot priority problem and the F12 boot menu always worked as it should. Now it just doesn't want to respect boot priority at all and always seems to forget my o/c setting so I have to re-enter them upon every boot. Frustrating!

I am a long-term victim of the dreaded Gigabyte boot-cycle problem. However, mine has always been a failure of warm booting, not cold booting. First thought is 'heat related' but I have a huge Noctua-12 heatsink/fan combo on the CPU and the northbridge never gets above 58C (it just has a passive heatsink so wouldn't be affected by no-fans on startup). It never fails though - I ALWAYS have to wait about 15 minutes before I can boot again.
It is interesting to note that I've changed powersupplies and has similar issues with another Gigabyte board. All I know is that this is definitely the last Socket 775 system I would ever own - too darn flakey! The AMD AM3 systems seem to be much more stable!
m
l
July 18, 2010 3:42:31 PM

Flashed to the latest BIOS version, F14. Everything is back to "normal" (still suffer from not being able to warm boot and it always loses the o/c settings) - however, this appears to be as good as can be expected from a Socket 775 system + Dual Core CPU + Gigabyte board.

All I can figure is that when the computer crashed several days ago, it somehow, inexplicably, corrupted boot sectors of the harddrive and somehow messed with the BIOS. Harddrive corruption I can understand, but not messing with the BIOS. Oh well....

Moderator, please make this as SOLVED.

m
l

Best solution

July 18, 2010 7:00:00 PM

Lol, I had some RAM one time that f-ed my bios up, no idea how but I had to flash it to get it normal again. To mark as solved you have to click best answer on one of the, people's who responded to you, post.
July 18, 2010 9:02:37 PM

jdog2pt0 said:
Lol, I had some RAM one time that f-ed my bios up, no idea how but I had to flash it to get it normal again. To mark as solved you have to click best answer on one of the, people's who responded to you, post.

Thanks. I didn't see any way to mark as Solved.

m
l
July 18, 2010 9:02:48 PM

Best answer selected by icester1973.
m
l
July 19, 2010 4:24:38 AM

I have narrowed the fix down further....

In the BIOS, set the USB-HDD ahead of the other harddrives in the harddisk priority menu. It is not enough to just select USB-HDD in the boot priority menu.
m
l
!