Closed Solved

[Solved] 8GB Installed, 4GB usable on Windows 7 64 bit

Just wanted to help out others that end up with this problem seeing as it took me f----------------g forever to figure out a fix (with no little help from researching via google).

Anyway im running the following rig:

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz (w/ Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus) - OC'd at 4.0Ghz
8GB (2GB x 4) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM
SAPPHIRE Vapor-X Radeon HD 5850 (Cypress Pro) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W
Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH080G2R5 2.5" 80GB SATA II MLC (SSD)
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 7200 RPM
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit

Any way i had the problem when i installed 4GB more of memory (to make 8GB total) that my computer on recognized 4GB as usable and put the rest under "Hardware Reserved".

Steps i took for fix:

In bios make sure "Memory remapping" is enabled

Update bios to latest version

Voltage for DRAM to company specs (1.60v in my case)

---at this point none of it fixed the problem---

but then i RESEATED THE CPU AND DIMMS - afterwards my bios detected the Reseat cpu as a new cpu and subsequently detected all 8GB of memory.

So in my case if you have a rig similar to mine you have to reseat your CPU and heatsink for your 8GB of ram to become usable. Don't waste your time looking for an easy fix - it took me hours to no avail. Reseating takes some time if you do it right - but in the long run your PC runs cooler and it solved this problem.

Hope this is a lifesaver for others that have this problem!

- Statz
11 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about solved installed usable windows
  1. Best answer
    Hmm, interesting. It normally it's either DIMMs not being seated properly or the motherboard having a few bent pins/not contacting a few pins which result in the loss of memory.
  2. :hello: Did have this problem, cured by reseating dimms, thanks to statz22..Have a p7p55d elx and the dimm slots are crap ??
  3. How do you reseating the Cpu? I mean, I know reseating DIMMs, but CPU?.. Do you mean the processor?
  4. There are at least 6 possible reasons to date and OP touched on 3, memory mapping in this case was the fix.
  5. Best answer selected by Statz22.
  6. I had a similar problem. Opened the case and found that one of the DIMMS wasn't seated right. Pressed it in, and voila! -- all 8 GB now usable.
  7. Didn't need to re-seat anything here, just needed to turn on Memory Remap feature in Bios. remap was originally disabled for over-clocking abilities.

Thanks
  8. PEOPLE I have found the correct answer to all your memory detection problems type in msconfig go to boot , advance and uncheck number of prossocers and maximum memory . this will definitly fix your problem ... dun ever go on youtube for say and follow those dumbass videos that make your windows perform faster !
  9. vadimua said:
    PEOPLE I have found the correct answer to all your memory detection problems type in msconfig go to boot , advance and uncheck number of prossocers and maximum memory . this will definitly fix your problem ... dun ever go on youtube for say and follow those dumbass videos that make your windows perform faster !

ONLY THIS DID THE WHOLE WORK . THANKS :pt1cable:
  10. Thank you Statz for the info.

Tried the other suggestions on this thread, but reseating the memory worked for me:-)
  11. This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Ask a new question

Read More

Memory