Sign in with
Your question

Has my motherboard gone bad?

Last response: in Motherboards
July 17, 2010 7:12:20 PM

Hey guys.

So i was playing wow yesterday, and my computer just froze, both my monitors froze, and i could not hear any sound. So i did a hard reboot(held down my power button). Now i got kinda mad and went away from my computer while it was rebooting, i came back and my monitors were black, i tried doing a hard reboot this time but no matter how long i held down my button, it would not turn off.

So i turned it off from the PSU, waited, tried again. Same results, so i thought it had to be either my GFX card, HDD, or motherboard. i thought motherboard because my internet cable doesnt blink like it should(it doesnt blink at all).

I replaced my HD5850 with my old 3450, i got the same results.
I replaced my current HDD with an old IDE HDD, same results. (black screens, cant hold down power button to reboot)
Now, this is where i think it is my mobo, as i tested the others with working ones, though i do not have an extra mobo to try, nor a CPU.

Now i need help in determining if it actually is my mobo, if so ill buy a new one.
Also if i am to get a new mobo, like getting a new CPU, would i need to do a fresh install of vista.
Also took out all four sticks of RAM, same results.
Also went out and bought a new SATA cable, thought it might be bad, still same results.

My Specs:
1TB WD 7200 RPM HDD
1TB WD External HDD
AMD Phenom x4 9650 Quad-Core 2.30GHz Proccsor
ATI Raedon HD5850 1GB GDDR5
TA780G M2+ Biostar Mobo
8GB DDR2 RAM
750W retail plus PSU

More about : motherboard bad

July 17, 2010 8:27:38 PM

So, to clarify, basically what your saying is that your computer froze and when you tried to reboot it, all you were greeted with was a black screen. The computer was also not responding to the pwr button.

Correct?

As a side note, your computer will never run if you don't have any RAM plugged in.

Is there any beeping coming from the motherboard?
m
l
July 17, 2010 8:32:55 PM

Yes, that is correct, and no sounds from the motherboard
m
l
Related resources
July 17, 2010 8:51:02 PM

Well because it's not beeping I'd be more inclined to think something happened to the cpu.
m
l
July 17, 2010 8:52:53 PM

Is there anyway to tell?
m
l
July 17, 2010 8:54:03 PM

Unfortunately, no, not unelss you have another cpu lying around somewhere or are willing to purchase another one.
m
l
July 17, 2010 9:03:01 PM

well, i dont got either laying around, well i do on an 8 year old computer, though thats agp.
m
l
July 17, 2010 9:33:54 PM

Probably won't work, the cpu has to be the right socket size
m
l
July 17, 2010 9:48:51 PM

Archey,

stop using "retail plus" psu from staples, they are ****.

It probably failed under load with that 5850.

I suggest you try a different psu.

Brad
m
l
July 17, 2010 10:04:01 PM

my psu is fine, im sure of that, if it wasnt my computer wouldnt even power up. or i would be lagging on my desktop, trust me, ive seen my bro oc a 9600 GT on a 300W. And my psu has enough wattage to support to 5850.

Also as second poster said to get a new cpu/mobo i need to get new ram with it, has the mobo is ddr3, only cause the socket is AM3, cause cpu socket is AM3. So will

http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.product_det... this ram work with

this mobo http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.product_det...

which should work with this cpu? http://otvtech.com/catalogue.html?page=shop.product_det...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
July 18, 2010 2:32:13 AM

WEll MR. know it all, I would bet your PSU is dead. Just because a few fans and lights come on that dont mean its not, it only means the 5v rail is alive, but the 12v rail probably went bye bye. Next time dont be rude, cause I bet the other guy is spot on.

To really know whats up you need to get a motherboard speaker so you can hear if it beeps.
m
l
July 18, 2010 2:51:39 AM

That combination of components should work fine together. I might consider a motherboard with a more modern chipset , not really faster but more future proof on CPU support.

If you get yourself a whole new system, you'll find out pretty quickly if the P/S is still good or not. You are right you can run a lot of hardware on 300W, or if the voltage is unstable (ripple), you can fail to run a basic system on a 1000W P/S.
m
l
July 18, 2010 11:18:55 PM

daship said:
WEll MR. know it all, I would bet your PSU is dead. Just because a few fans and lights come on that dont mean its not, it only means the 5v rail is alive, but the 12v rail probably went bye bye. Next time dont be rude, cause I bet the other guy is spot on.

To really know whats up you need to get a motherboard speaker so you can hear if it beeps.

im sure because i tried a working 400w, and same results.

thanks hangfire8
m
l
July 19, 2010 1:08:48 AM

Something to try, though it probably won't work. CMOS the bios. If your not sure how write back and I'll provide you with instructions.
m
l
July 19, 2010 8:44:19 PM

jdog2pt0 said:
Something to try, though it probably won't work. CMOS the bios. If your not sure how write back and I'll provide you with instructions.

I cannot access the bios, as in my first post, i just get a black screen
m
l
July 19, 2010 11:44:35 PM

Lol, I'm sorry. I'm tracking multiple posts so I think I got a little mixed up on what this one was :p 
m
l
July 20, 2010 12:15:07 AM

regardless if the mobo is dead or not, i'd recommend an Antec power supply 500 watt or better. Even the higher end graphics cards out there don't require more than a 450... but there's a huge difference between "clean" power, and "dirty" power. That's why you can pay 50 bucks for 750 watts, or 80 bucks for 500 watts.

I had the same issue ages ago and so far I've had no issue whatsoever with my antec supplies. I'm leaning toward Power Supply fried also.

Were you playing WoW during a lightning storm??? A lot of crappy generic psu's die off from a small surge (that's when i learned my lesson).
m
l
July 20, 2010 1:15:59 AM

JoshBaity said:
regardless if the mobo is dead or not, i'd recommend an Antec power supply 500 watt or better. Even the higher end graphics cards out there don't require more than a 450... but there's a huge difference between "clean" power, and "dirty" power. That's why you can pay 50 bucks for 750 watts, or 80 bucks for 500 watts.

I had the same issue ages ago and so far I've had no issue whatsoever with my antec supplies. I'm leaning toward Power Supply fried also.

Were you playing WoW during a lightning storm??? A lot of crappy generic psu's die off from a small surge (that's when i learned my lesson).

as i said before IT ISNT THE PSU, I TRIED A DIFFERENT ONE AND SAME RESULTS! also i wasn't playing during a lightning storm, never do even though i have a surge protector, i still don't
m
l
July 20, 2010 4:47:37 PM

I'd say you best bet at this point would be to invest in a new cpu
m
l
July 20, 2010 6:28:22 PM

jdog2pt0 said:
I'd say you best bet at this point would be to invest in a new cpu

I am, and a cpu, and new RAM, its time i upgrade anyway. Though it was the mobo, i had my friend that had an extra cpu/mobo take a look at it, when he swapped in a spare am2 cpu it worked, but when he did an am2+ mobo with my current cpu it didnt.

Thanks for all the help guys :)  (not sarcasm btw)
m
l
July 22, 2010 7:53:45 PM

Glad we could help. :) 
m
l
!