Sign in with
Your question

Installing Xp Pro 64 On New Drive

Last response: in Windows XP
July 14, 2012 12:46:55 AM

Last year I added a 1TB drive to my system to store what was was becomng a 500GB drive eating number of videos and photos. It was intended to be strictly a secondary drive. Although I did not install any XP Home Sp3 files on it, it seems to have gotten them from somewhere. Now the Question - My primary 500GB drive is crapping out. I have purchased a 1TB drive to replace it and also intend to install XP Pro 64 on is as my OS to utilize more ram. Will the windows files that reside on the secondary interfere with the new installation? Any advise or tips (bios etc.) to keep me out of trouble? And yes, my system is capable of 64 bit.

More about : installing pro drive

July 14, 2012 1:05:44 AM

An old install on the old drive will not interfere with a clean install on the new drive. You will have to reinstall all programs you use, and any bookmarks etc will have to be imported to the new os install. Bios should not need any tweaking. Your 500 g drive should not be toast and if it was me I would look at keeping the original up and going. I do not know what you are running and what your problems are but as of today I wonder if you really need 64 bit, or repair and maintenance of what you have.
m
l
July 14, 2012 10:15:46 AM

ktownmike said:
An old install on the old drive will not interfere with a clean install on the new drive. You will have to reinstall all programs you use, and any bookmarks etc will have to be imported to the new os install. Bios should not need any tweaking. Your 500 g drive should not be toast and if it was me I would look at keeping the original up and going. I do not know what you are running and what your problems are but as of today I wonder if you really need 64 bit, or repair and maintenance of what you have.

The 500 has become very noisy. On boot up last week chkdsk ran for over an hour, finding thousands of unreadable files. I rebooted, refused chkdsk and ran chkdsk/f. It failed to recover or repair. My AVG repair disc app freezes. I think it's obvious that that drive is worn out and has damaged the surface thus.

As to wanting Pro 64 for the memory, I run several ram-intensive graphics programs that can really benefit from having 8gb instead of 3. Additionally, if I didn't have a bundle invested in some aps that run only in xp, I would probably install 7 but I can't afford newer versions of that software that Im all too comfortable with using.

As to the windows xp/home/sp3 files on the secondary, once xp pro/64 is up and running on the new primary, would it be stupid to delete all the windows files on that drive? Do they serve some purpose in accessing data on that drive. Thanks for any advice.
m
l
!