Sign in with
Your question

Core i5 build for $1000

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2009 12:19:41 AM

I will begin buying parts next Thursday [12/31/09].
I want to stay under $1000 for all computer parts and under $200 for monitor.
So under $1200 for everything (computer parts including monitor)

Right now my current plan puts me around $1120.
Here is my planned build so far:

CPU / Mobo / RAM
Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - $199.99: Might consider buying this from TigerDirect to save 10 bucks but not sure if it's free shipping and with the same customer service as newegg.

ASUS P7P55D EVO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
($194.99 -$25.00 Instant - $15.00 Promo Code) $154.99

GG.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL8D-4GBRM - $93.99

PSU / GPU
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power
($179.99 -$70.00 Instant) $109.99

XFX HD-577A-ZNFC Radeon HD 5770 (Juniper XT) 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - $179.99: Some users are complaining about driver support and instability... but I need a good card that supports HDMI.

Storage / Case / Heatsink / Fans
Western Digital Caviar Black 750GB SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive -Bare Drive
($79.99 - $10.00 Promo Code) $69.99

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UB Black /Blue Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower - $52.00: Adds $18 for shipping....

ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler - $34.98

APEVIA CF12SL-UBL 120mm Blue LED Case Fan - $7.97

APEVIA CF4SL-UBL-LED 80mm Blue LED Case Fan - $5.99

Monitor
Gateway FHD2401 Black 24" 5ms HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail
($279.99 -$100.00 Instant) $179.99

Accessories / Etc.
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - $8.99

No mouse, keyboard, speakers, sound card, or OS needed for now...

Subtotal: $1,123.86
Grand Total (shipped and taxed): $1,123.99

Anything I'm missing...?
I am open to comments/suggestions and other recommendations.
I will be using the system for everything (office work, multimedia, gaming, programming, etc)
Ask if you need more specific information.
Thanks.

More about : core build 1000

December 28, 2009 1:31:19 AM

80 views no comments?
I am buying the parts in 3-4 days. Any advice appreciated.
December 28, 2009 1:44:22 AM

I built a similar system for a friend. Same CPU / MOBO / RAM. GPU was 5750 though. You dont need 750watts unless you plan to upgrade later on. I went with a 550w OCZ fatality.

Also I ran into a problem with the ram, not sure if you will, but I kept crashing during boot into the OS. Found out it was the motherboards auto settings for the ram giving it over 2v and messed up timings. Had to manually set it for it to stop crashing back to post.
Related resources
December 28, 2009 2:04:25 AM

overall i really like the build. i would bet that most people aren't commenting because your build doesn't really need any help.

however, i guess i can make a suggestion or two.

first, i have no experience with G skull. To my knowledge from the DDR2 age, they cater more toward the low end. I would try and fit some corsair, crucial, or kingston in there but that is just an opinion.

Second, personally i love the corsair 750watt(i am using one now) but if your looking for expandability. i would check out the 850watt. it would give you just a little extra head room.

one of the biggest things i see tho is the gateway monitor. gateway is fine but 5ms is prone to ghosting and taring (i know i have a 5ms screen). if your just in to RTS, it wont matter but you play any modern warfare 2 you might look at a comprable acer, asus, hann G or viewsonic that has 2 or 3 ms.

if your really in to movies and music i would look at a sound card. even a cheap one will give you better sound than on board. (NOTE: the 5000 series also transfers audio over HDMI so if your using that for audio and video don't bother.)

OS??? you don't mention one. i would guess you already have a copy of XP or 7. but you don't say so... that could be missing.

guess one last thing might be the HD. again i love the brand and the choice but if video is your i would definitely look at a 1TB or possibly even a raid 0 of 2 500GB. it would give you significantly better reads.

like i said at the start most of this is totally subjective on brand opinions or on possible future proofing. this is simply because you have a good looking rig.

anyways enjoy the holidays, hope your build is awesome, hope this was helpful in someway, and good luck!
December 28, 2009 2:40:31 AM

thanks for commenting. i am hoping that no one is commenting because it looks like a good build. i'll look more into that issue with the ram...

i picked out that monitor because newegg has a $100 discount special on it... I'll see if I can find something comparable in the same price range but i doubt it; since its basically a $300 monitor with a $200 price tag. thanks for pointing that out though because I was trying to see any flaws with that monitor...

I'm thinking of a 1+ TB hard drive , but I think the 640gb can hold me off long enough until I save more money (and perhaps RAID0 the 2nd hdd like u suggested).
December 28, 2009 2:42:09 AM

No operating system, or do you already have one? I'm not sure if you've looked at the current email promo's from newegg, but here's the link.

http://promotions.newegg.com/NEemail/latest/index-landi...

Shaado, I'm currently buying parts for an exact same build. I'm puttng together an i5 750 myself. I'm using that exact same Mobo. I was planning on using the Asrock Extreme for $140, but now that the Evo is on sale, I'm buying it. I'm curious about the advice you get, but I'll try to help with some of my own, or what some people have recommended I use. As the other dude said, that PSU is a bit much, so you could probably save a few dollars by using something a little less powerful. I bought a Corsair 650HX, but the 650TX is on sale, and it would save you about $30. If you don't plan on crossfiring, then you might even be able to go with a 550, if money is a concern.

Corsair 650TX - $78.99
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

I know XFX doubles the warranty, but I'm planning on using the exact same Radeon HD 5770, and the HIS is onsale right now with a promo code , for $152.99

RAM is where I'm stuck. There are so many choices it's confusing.
December 28, 2009 2:48:04 AM

shaado said:
thanks for commenting. i am hoping that no one is commenting because it looks like a good build. i'll look more into that issue with the ram...

i picked out that monitor because newegg has a $100 discount special on it... I'll see if I can find something comparable in the same price range but i doubt it; since its basically a $300 monitor with a $200 price tag. thanks for pointing that out though because I was trying to see any flaws with that monitor...

I'm thinking of a 1+ TB hard drive , but I think the 640gb can hold me off long enough until I save more money (and perhaps RAID0 the 2nd hdd like u suggested).

You could go with a Smasung Spinpoint F3 for now, and add in a 2nd later if you want to save some money in the short run. People seem to rave about these drives. I know the 1TB version is impossible to find online, because of it's popularity.

December 28, 2009 3:11:29 AM

Yea I already do have several OS's (windows and linux)

the HIS looks nice, but I usually like to buy products that lots of people have used and reviewed with 5 stars =) haha. But let me know if you narrow down some RAM options... I'm looking at others to compare to the G.Skill's I posted above.

EDIT: Didn't realize they have so many of the same models of RAM with slightly different timings....

I think I'll still with the Corsair 750TX (only $10 for an extra 100 watts) because I plan to have this build for 3-4 years/upgrades and although not now... I mite want to go SLI/Crossfire down the road (if I think it's worth it).
December 28, 2009 3:30:49 AM

everything looks good.

As far as stuff with 5 stars.... people on newegg have no idea what they are talking about.

HIS cards are VERY good.

as far as the monitor goes..... check this one out.
- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item...
thats my ebay store. i have 23" and 24" with HDMI - let me get u a price on them tomorrow morning. but i promise u its a better monitor then the Gateway.

Hard Drive - Numbers dont lie - Check out the Samsung Spinpoint F3 - its a little better than what you went with.
December 28, 2009 3:54:03 AM

about the spinpoint f3... what numbers are we talking about?....
from: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
the first review shows benchmarks against the caviar black showing spinpoint having the advantage....
Quote:
Caviar Black
Avg. Transfer Rate: 72.7 MB/Sec
Access Time: 12.5 ms
Burst Rate: 146.8 MB/Sec
Operating Temp: 87 degrees F
I have to say this drive scores better
Samsung:
Avg. Transfer Rate: 107.9 MB/Sec
Access Time: 13.9 ms
Burst Rate: 163.8 MB/Sec
Operating Temp: 84 f

maybe you should think about that before you get a wd black

however the review right under says the caviar black has twice the performance (I'm assuming by Black Edition they mean Caviar Black)
Quote:
I really have no cons with this hard drive, its a great drive for what i use it for (storing pictures,music, movies) has a great access time, just didnt keep my OS on it because i threw the OS on my Western Digital Black Edition 500gb which got about double as good specs for only 10-15$ more depending where you get it from.
!