Sign in with
Your question

What to do next with my 965 x4 BE

Last response: in Overclocking
July 8, 2012 2:11:41 PM

I've been overclocking my CPU for the first time....not really sure what I'm doing but I've been learning. I've got a Phenom II 965 x4 Black Edition. The stock speed is 3400 at 1.4v. Currently it's running stable 3800 at 1.5v. I've read that going further with the voltage isn't really a good idea, but my temps are still ok'ish at 55-57 running a blend test in prime95.

I've heard talk about increasing the cpu-nb frequency for a big increase in performance. I think the stock speed is 2000. I tried 2200 which was fine, but 2400 wouldn't boot so I probably need to increase the voltage to it...um, I'm not sure which setting in the bios is for the northbridge voltage, but I have another concern; My memory is cobbled together from 2 different sets. One is a corsair module with heat fins, the other is just green circuit board and microchips. How much should I worry about this and what will affect it?

I tried setting the HTT to 2200 along with the cpu-nb, but that was unstable in prime95. I've dropped the cpu multi a bit and set the FSB to 205 which seemed fine, but even 207 was unstable.

..in short, how am I doing so far and what should I try next?

thanks all

CPU: Phenom II 965 x4 BE C2
MB: M4A77D
MEM: 4gb DDR2
GPU: 1gb AMD HD4870 Sapphire OC'ed in CCC. Core 790, Mem 965
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper TX3 (3 heat pipe tower)
System fans: intake 200mm front, exhaust 140mm rear, 200mm top
Case: BitFenix Survivor Core

More about : 965

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 2:19:45 PM

Yeah, that voltage is way high for my liking,
Memory should be matched and I recall reading that two sticks is usually more stable than four for some bizarre reason,
I'd go over the Black edition guide up top and see if you can pick any tweaks up there, Nb/Ht speeds being one I would look at closely,
*Edit, try and keep the Refclock at 200 for as long as you can, it reduces instability elsewhere like ram
Moto
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 5:31:08 PM

3.8 is about right for a 965. Some will go up to 4 but most top out at around 3.8. 1.5 does see just a little high but not too much. If youre temps are in the mid 50's under Prime95 (use the Small FFT test for temps) then you're ok for 24/7 use.

Definitely get the CPU/NB up there though. I picked up a pretty sizable increase in gaming performance (primarily minimum frame rates) when I upped mine. 2600 is a good spot to aim for.

And yeah, use the multipler instead of FSB (HT Reference Clock but FSB is easier to type ;)  ). Bulldozers really benefit from FSB increases but Phenom's dont and multiplier overclocking is usually more stable or at least it always has been in my experience.
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 6:57:24 PM

Nice Avatar Axe, I just finished ME2 and I'll grab 3 when the moneys there,
I'd disagree on the numbers you put out though, I see most PII's getting 4GHz and I'd say they top out at 4.2/4.3GHz,
Cept mine, I have a sweet sweet chip of golden goodness,
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2330656
But I also have an overabundance of W/c to cool everything as well :p 
Moto
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 8:44:02 PM

4.4's a nice result, especially on air mate, well done :-)
I think your sons 980 can run faster than 4.1MHz though :-p
Moto
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 1:32:48 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
Nice Avatar Axe, I just finished ME2 and I'll grab 3 when the moneys there,
I'd disagree on the numbers you put out though, I see most PII's getting 4GHz and I'd say they top out at 4.2/4.3GHz,
Cept mine, I have a sweet sweet chip of golden goodness,
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=2330656
But I also have an overabundance of W/c to cool everything as well :p 
Moto

Mass Effect is my all time favorite game and I didnt think anything would ever unseat Doom from that spot. Im sure youve heard all the crap about the disappointing ending but the Extended Cut went a LONG way to making it a much better ending. Its still better than 98% of the endings out there on other games but its just not up to ME standards. Still a superb game so dont pay any attention to the nerd rage.

Back on topic, I dont doubt some Phenom's are hitting the 4+ range but the majority of them are gonna stay south of 4 gig. Now thats not considering high end custom loop water cooling setups which can most likely go higher. The vast majority of them (and Ive had 3) are not gonna go over 4 without WAY more voltage than youre gonna want to run on a 24/7 basis. Now Im also talking about overclocks that will pass 10+ Intel Burn Test passes and/or 12+ hours of Prime95 Small FFT. I have no doubt you can get 4+ stable enough to play some games and stuff on, but Im talking about rock solid, 24/7 stable. ;) 
!