Should I upgrade my pc to play Bad Company 2?

I currently have

Intel E5200 dual core
ECS Motherboard(cannot overclock)
2x2 667mhz ram
Nvidia GTX 260 216shader
Purepower 600watt psu

The specs for the game says I should have atleast a 2gig Core 2 Duo processor to play bad company 2. I currently have a 2.5gig dual core, but it's not the core 2 duo. Should I be upgrading my CPU to play this game? I really don't want to spend more than $200
18 answers Last reply
More about should upgrade play company
  1. The e5200 should be plenty your ram is prob gonna hold you back the most.
  2. Do you have a model number for your motherboard?
  3. Yes my model number is ECS G31T-LM2.
  4. You should be ok, don't expect to max it, though you may.
  5. The newer Pentium dual cores, starting with yours E5200, then E5300, E6300 are ALL Core 2 Duo's, they're using the same architecture ( they have shared L2 cache ), just branded as Pentium Dual core's

As for BC2, you should be able to handle that game pretty well. And also, your rig is pretty good. If you wanna upgrade in the next 1-2 years, i'd suggest getting a whole new platform ( cause the LGA775 in the next 1-2 years will be dead socket for upgrade )

But there is absolutely NO reason to upgrade right now
  6. No load and try the game before upgrading, besides, I would not upgrade your machine but save to buy a new machine in the future!

Your 260 is up to the task, but think the RAM and CPU may bottleneck GPU at default settings, pity you cant OC as 5200 will go to 3.4ghz easily.

You dont mention your resolution. 1680x1050 is prob max for your setup with good quality settings just turn off any post processing/physics stuff for better headroom with quality settings.
  7. Quote:
    Your 260 is up to the task, but think the RAM and CPU may bottleneck GPU at default settings, pity you cant OC as 5200 will go to 3.4ghz easily.

trust me, with his ECS motherboard he cant.the BIOS OC options on that board is very limited. and considering he only has 667mhz memory it'll be a pain as you can not run the fsb and the mem clock unlinked on it. i've tried on a very similar cpu-mobo setup, never got it stable past 2.8ghz.
  8. Okay guys so I installed bad company 2 about an hour ago. The game runs like crap for me... I don't know the frames, but it feels like sub 30fps. I'm running the game at 1680x1050 with everything set to "low". The anti aliasing/antitropic are at 1x since theres no option to turn it off.
  9. tuesday0180 said:
    Okay guys so I installed bad company 2 about an hour ago. The game runs like crap for me... I don't know the frames, but it feels like sub 30fps. I'm running the game at 1680x1050 with everything set to "low". The anti aliasing/antitropic are at 1x since theres no option to turn it off.

Then it's probably the CPU or the ram
  10. Go into nvidia control panel you can adjust global 3d settings there also if you are using onboard sound make sure its set to 48k you will see a noticeable difference in fps dropping it from 192k if thats what u have it set at even 96k will slow games down.
  11. How do I set my sound to 48k? Is it in my control panel? I'm using windows 7 64x
  12. click the volume control then click the speaker on the top of the volume control. This will open speaker properties under the advanced tab you should see these settings. it will say something like 24 bit 48000hz
  13. Aww okay I checked and it was already on the lowest 16 bit 44.1hz
  14. alright so I lowered the resoltuion from 1680x1050 to 1280x768. The game runs better now even at medium setting.
  15. I run the game with my settings at 1920x1200 High everything. 16X AF and 1X AA. I get around 30-60 FPS throughout the game. Single player and Multiplayer. The game likes quad cores. I can't tell much of a difference between Medium and High. I'm sure there is a difference but I can't stop killing people to find out without dieing.
  16. one-shot said:
    I run the game with my settings at 1920x1200 High everything. 16X AF and 1X AA. I get around 30-60 FPS throughout the game. Single player and Multiplayer. The game likes quad cores. I can't tell much of a difference between Medium and High. I'm sure there is a difference but I can't stop killing people to find out without dieing.

I just tested those settings but at 1920x1080 with an 8800GTS 512 and averaged about 30fps. 25-45 so far as i seen most the time during my short test. Lowest it dipped was 16 once, other then that it was 20+ Sounds like you need to update your drivers, the latest adds support for SLI in BC2. 196.75 i believe.
  17. lucuis said:
    I just tested those settings but at 1920x1080 with an 8800GTS 512 and averaged about 30fps. 25-45 so far as i seen most the time during my short test. Lowest it dipped was 16 once, other then that it was 20+ Sounds like you need to update your drivers, the latest adds support for SLI in BC2. 196.75 i believe.

You mean..these ones.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/03/05/nvidia-pulls-196-75-driver-amid-reports-its-frying-graphics-car/

I'll pass and try the one before that.
  18. It seems to run better with the newer drivers. I think i got 197.25. I was using some older ones that worked better with EVGA Precision.
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs