Sign in with
Your question

First time, Will this work?

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2009 1:00:12 AM

Hey all, im building a computer for the very first time ever, ive been doing alot of research on reviews and stuff of the items from newegg and tigerdirect, ive come up with this computer and want to know if it will work and what you guys think? Im trying to build a really awesome gaming computer on a 3k budget but also room for upgrades in the future (like the 300 series nvidia cards coming out soon)

EVGA x58 SLI Classified Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, Sli/CrossfireX ready, Triple Channel, DDR3, Raid, Hyperthreading

Intel Core i7 950 Processor - 3.06 GHz, 8mb L3 Cache, 4.8 GT/s QPT, Hyperthreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan

Thermaltake VH6000BWS Armor + Full Tower ATX Case - Clear Side, Black

Thermaltake Tr2 TRX - 1200m 1200W ATX 12v V 2.3 / EPS 12v V 2.91 80 plus cert modular active PFC Power Supply - Retail

Sony Optiarc Black 24x DVD+R 8x DVD+RW 12x DVD+R DL 24x DVD-R 6x DVD-RW 12x DVD-RAM 16x DVD-ROM 48x CD-R 32x CD-RW 48x CD-ROM 2mb cache SATA DVD/CD Rewritable Drive

Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Champ Sound Card

Western Digital VelociRaptor 300GB 10000RPM SATA 3.0gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

BFG Geforce GTX 295 1792mb 896 (448x2) -bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP ready SLI Support

More about : time work

December 27, 2009 1:08:28 AM

Looks fine by me. But I see no point in an i7 950, a 920 should be just fine if you're going to overclock. If you are going to overclock, you will want an aftermarket heatsink fan.
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:10:57 AM

Thanks for the reply, im not sure about overlocking in all honesty, ive always just bought computers from retail stores and have never overlocked or anything b4, i know the general hardware in a computer but not very experienced when it comes to that kinda stuff, is it worth trying to overlock if im new to it or would i end up messing it up?
m
l
Related resources
December 27, 2009 1:15:39 AM

Honestly, I recently just did my first build and overclocking was a breeze (although I am using an AMD Phenom II) but I don't see how it could differ for Intel. It's much more simple than some people make it out to be. You just raise the multiplier one by one until you can't post. Up voltage and keep going until you like what result you've gotten (although please look at the core i7 overclocking guide in the overclocking section). Or you can just look on the internet and look at what other people are using for their overclocked settings and just mimic that. I have an AMD Phenom II x3 with the 4th core unlocked @ 3.6Ghz with 1.45 volts. Doesn't go above 58 celcius.
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:25:57 AM

Say i were to overlock the 920 or 950, do you know if id have to get a liquid cooled system in order to do that? I remember reading something about having to use a way better cooling system in overlocks, and i dont know the first thing about liquid cooling so i dont think id be able to do that.
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:28:26 AM

Drop the raptor, the Samsung F3 provides better sequential transfer rates, put two of them in raid and you will easily out perform the raptor for significantly less.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

The classified board is also very expensive and unless you plan to do some extreme overclocking, its way more than you need, something like the ASUS P6T would be more than enough even for moderate overclocking.

That power supply is also massive overkill, something like the 850HX would be higher quality and more than enough power for a GTX295

I would suggest getting a sound card at a later time, many people cant tell the difference between onboard and a high end sound card, and unless you have a high quality speaker setup you wont get any effect.

What resolution is the monitor that you plan to game on? The GTX 295 isnt a good choice now, the 5870 performs similarly and uses significantly less power. If you need more graphics performance in the future you can add another in crossfire in the future.

You can also get a large spacious case, with excellent airflow for significantly less with free shipping, consider the HAF932.

You dont need liquid cooling unless you intend to do extreme over clocking, you can overclock to about 4GHz on a good air cooler.
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:37:01 AM

The case thats down is a e-ALX i think it was called which is some kind of extended for the motherboard i had chosen, i was looking at alot of the asus mobos and for some reason they were getting really bad reviews in doa's and poor tech support. I kinda chose this mobo for upgrading in the future kinda thing, i was gonna wait for the 300 series nvidia cards to come out b4 buying but id really like to get something now instead with windows 7 ect. I was kinda scared to go towards an ATI card since the drivers i was always told were really hard to figure and have issues. Ive always had a nvidia card since i had my first computer is the main reason i had chosen it.

On the power supply i was looking for a 1000w just incase i decided to ever go SLI on the new 300 series nvidia cards, i thought i had read you needed at least 1000 for sli capabilities but im not certain. I have a really big 5.1 speaker system that i use instead of a headset thats the main reason i chose the creative soundcard and i use a 1900 something resolution, im on a 25.5" Samsung touch of color monitor.

When you say raid setup with 2 of the samsung f3 how exactly does that work, is it 2 hard drives working together like in an sli form on a video card or something? Thanks for the reply!

-nate
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:44:58 AM

As for the power supply, we don't know how much consumption the 300 series will be needing so we can't really make assumptions.

As for the raid, yeah I guess you could sorta say it's like SLI and crossfire. Here's a good read on RAID http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RAID

I myself have a 5870, no problems like other people are having and I'm very happy with my purchase. I suggest getting a 5870 instead of a 295
m
l
December 27, 2009 1:45:11 AM

( i have nothing against asus ) im on one right now on this dell i have but i got scared away on the reviews on the newegg and tigerdirect sites.
m
l
December 27, 2009 2:01:52 AM

Yeah, but i would suggest one from XFX, for the same price and it comes with a double lifetime warranty.

ASUS and Gigabyte are two of the most reliable motherboard manufacturers. The initial batch of X58 boards all had issues but that has been resolved for quite some time. ATI drivers arent bad like they are made out to be, i havent had any driver issues with my 4850 or the 9550 that i had prior.

We can make one assumption about the G300's power consumption, it will be less than 300W per card as that is the max allowed, so an 850W PSU would still provide enough power to run it safely, hopefully it will be well below that closer to 200W per card giving the 850W plenty of over head.
m
l
!