ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Hi all,

I am stuck and need some insight into how to repair my XP. After installing Ubuntu on a separate HDD (with several restarts), XP will not load past the Windows XP flash screen. I have used the recovery console to scan for errors (chkdsk /p /r) and got clean results after correcting some errors, but it will not boot into windows. My first guess is that the registry was corrupted during my hard resets and now is causing the system to hang. I have also tried to access the hdd from ubuntu, but the drive will not mount (I thought due to errors, but now I am not sure). In any event, I was curious if anyone could advise me how to proceed. Copy registry files? Fix MBR (doesn't seem like it, since I can get into the Windows XP screen. I would like to do this myself, but I care more about saving the data than my pride at this point. Thanks for any ideas.

Solution
I'm assuming U can't get to safe mode.U could first check bios settings maybe it changed something. Maybe related to hard drive or boot?

"Copy registry files? Fix MBR (doesn't seem like it, since I can get into the Windows XP screen. I would like to do this myself, but I care more about saving the data than my pride at this point. Thanks for any ideas.[/quotemsg]

If you're in recovery console , you might give it a try with registry files.
I've ended up doing this many times.
Backup all your System,Sam,Software, bla,bla.....from C:\Windows\System 32\Config (just rename their extensions) and copy from Repair folder the file to C:\Windows\System 32\Config those files.
It doesn't hurt to try, and it's sort of like doing a system restore...

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
I'm assuming U can't get to safe mode.U could first check bios settings maybe it changed something. Maybe related to hard drive or boot?

"Copy registry files? Fix MBR (doesn't seem like it, since I can get into the Windows XP screen. I would like to do this myself, but I care more about saving the data than my pride at this point. Thanks for any ideas.[/quotemsg]

If you're in recovery console , you might give it a try with registry files.
I've ended up doing this many times.
Backup all your System,Sam,Software, bla,bla.....from C:\Windows\System 32\Config (just rename their extensions) and copy from Repair folder the file to C:\Windows\System 32\Config those files.
It doesn't hurt to try, and it's sort of like doing a system restore with cmd.

If you're using recovery console (which I admit I'm addicted to :pt1cable: ) I think U already know the commands.

write for more info :hello:

Solution

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
Command line seems like all that is left (I didn't mention that I can't get into Safemode). My time in recovery console has been relatively short, so I might turn to a step by step... like this one http://www.aade.com/XPhint/XPrecovery.htm.

Since it is not giving me registry faults, just a black screen... I am reluctant to be optimistic. That said, I can't think of too many other options.

ginnai

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I managed to salvage my data by tossing the hdd into another computer... so (as I expected) the hdd is intact and not mechanically/ emotionally ruined, good news! Its just a matter of figuring out where the issue is. I attempted fixmbr, to no avail. At this point, I am wondering about my efforts being diminishing returns and if I should just throw down the cash for a Win 7 disc. ( I am also wondering why I just used raw sugar in my iced coffee... it never dissolves :fou: ). Anyways, can you think of any steps that I missed. I am going to re-try mounting in Linux, but I am less concerned now that all my data is safe. Thanks!!

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hi again!
I'm glad your files are not "mechanically/ emotionally ruined" !
Cause then, after you copy them you can, replace files, format hard, remove hard, beat hard with a stick or throw it out the window! :lol:

I can't see your step by step link, ain't working (it gives me a not fount 404 error)
I personally learned from here:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_xp-system/windowssystem32configsystem-file-missing-or/7e419b32-39b4-4f13-aad7-4bb34b42d587
and use this method if i think there is a reg problem. U can try if u still got the patience, just by normally replace in the other PC that is working.
There are many backup files (related to boot, system, profile, etc) on Windows in Repair folder, Dllcache folder, but not knowing the exact problem, it's very tricky to figure out.

At this point it would be better to copy your files and do a clean install.
I'm not very fond of Win 7 , but it's your choice.

Good luck!

:hello: