Crucial M4 or wait for Intel's new 520

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006
I was all set to get a Crucial M4 (128GB) for Windows 7 and drivers as well as Steam. I'm hesitant to go to a Sandforce SSD (even though the 2nd generations are out). This was why I was going to get the Crucial M4; seems stable and good price.

I know many state that Intel has a great SSD and Intel but would it be wise to stay with the Crucial M4 or wait for Intel's new 520 which was announced that they will be using the new Sandforce Controller. Now it's Intel, would you think that Intel would (as Mike Holmes would say) "make it right?"

Solution
Many sites reported the new Intel 520 was going to be released last month. It never happened. Recently some reports indicated release of the 520 was imminent. Other sites are reporting Intel delayed the release of the 520 until the first quarter of 2012.

There has been a lot of pure speculation and unsubstantiated rumors suggesting the new 520 will be equipped with a SandForce Controller. Intel has remained silent. I read the product literature and charts that have been leaked. There is no mention of a controller in any of the documents. I guess we'll find out when the 520 is released.

I would hope that Intel would make it right just like Mike (one of my favorites).
Many sites reported the new Intel 520 was going to be released last month. It never happened. Recently some reports indicated release of the 520 was imminent. Other sites are reporting Intel delayed the release of the 520 until the first quarter of 2012.

There has been a lot of pure speculation and unsubstantiated rumors suggesting the new 520 will be equipped with a SandForce Controller. Intel has remained silent. I read the product literature and charts that have been leaked. There is no mention of a controller in any of the documents. I guess we'll find out when the 520 is released.

I would hope that Intel would make it right just like Mike (one of my favorites).

Solution

mikeny

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Funny Jack, I just came upon that website above concerning that it might not have SF. I guess the true fact is that we will know when it's actually released or if Intel throws us a bone!! :) I was all set to buy the Crucial M4 when I ran into waiting for the new AMD video cards and then noticed Intelhad the 520 SSD coming out. I see Intel's SSD's are more expensive than the others...but it's Intel.

Jack, stick with the M4 or wait to see if Intel releases the 520? Again, the M4 is out of stock! My luck!