Sign in with
Your question

What to include in the loop. 2 gpu's and a cpu.

Last response: in Overclocking
July 8, 2012 11:20:47 PM

I currently have 1 evga GTX 580 and an Intel i7 2600k. I plan on getting a second GTX 580. I don't think the CPU needs to be overclocked much as it never get to 75% load, 4.0ghz minimum 4.5ghz maximum. So I can't decide whether to just liquid cool the two GPU's and get an air cooler for the CPU or to liquid cool them all. I have heard of 2 GPU's and a CPU on a single loop but I know 580's put out a ton of heat; would it be advisable to get a dual loop? I have also seen MOBO's being cooled but I have no clue if i would need that. Any feedback would be appreciated along with recommendations :D 
So basically
-2 580's and a 2600k single loop
-2 580's and a 2600k double loop
-2 580's single loop and aftermarket air cooled 2600k

More about : include loop gpu cpu

a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 8, 2012 11:59:39 PM

Easiest way is to do a single loop; no need for dual loops here. Your GPUs will benefit from being watercooled the most as load temps should be around 40C vs. 70C or more with the stock coolers.

You can easily add the CPU as well if you wish, so that's definitely an option. What is your total budget for watercooling? Depending on GPU blocks used, you are easily looking at $350-$400 (minimum) for what you'll need...maybe a bit less if you omit the CPU block ($55-$75).

Have you read through the watercooling sticky? I have it linked below in my signature...that would be a good place to start if you haven't really dug deep into the contents as it should help you determine # of radiators, pumps, etc.
July 9, 2012 12:20:51 AM

I did get a Swiftech Apogee HD (white) as my CPU block but it's from a friend so i don't have to include it. I have been looking at GPU blocks and i was thinking of *EK-FC580 GTX DirectGPU - Acetal+EN (Nickel)* or *EK-FC580 GTX+ - Acetal+EN (Nickel)* depending on whether i have the heatspreader or not. My limit is $1000 for this build including sleeved cables, so about $800 just for liquid cooling. I have started reading the sticky, I just wanted to get some ideas from the y'all so i have a better understanding of what i am looking for and looking at :)  Thanks for the response
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 1:51:35 PM

Take a look at the build log by Manzooka. Very well designed loop with the same hardware and gets great temps.
July 11, 2012 10:31:33 PM

Wow, thanks so much for that info boiler1990. That is almost the exact same hardware as me lol. I was thinking of radiator placement last night, because I realized I couldn't fit that humongous Aquacomputer airplex revolution, and came up with an idea to put a push pull rad on the bottom of the case with four 120mm fans(2 top 2 bottom) and a single rad on my back exhaust fan for the cpu. Seeing his thread pretty much sealed the deal :) 
July 11, 2012 10:34:22 PM

But now the question of whether it will be too much for a single loop. I've heard that the Swiftech Apogee HD doesn't perform too well with high pressure.
July 11, 2012 11:44:28 PM

barthalamoo said:
But now the question of whether it will be too much for a single loop. I've heard that the Swiftech Apogee HD doesn't perform too well with high pressure.

Maybe single loop with dual radiators?

RES->Pump->CPU->RAD->GPU('s)->Another RAD->Res
July 12, 2012 12:01:02 AM

Yup. That is my current planned loop.
res>pump>cpu>(A)single 120mm rad>gpu1>gpu2>(B)dual 120mm rad in push pull>res.
A-http://www.xs-pc.com/products/radiators/rx-series/rx120...
B-http://www.xs-pc.com/products/radiators/rx-series/rx240...

How I want to the loop is
res>pump>cpu>(A)dual 120mm rad>gpu1>gpu2>(B)triple 140mm rad>res
A-http://www.xs-pc.com/products/radiators/rx-series/rx240...
B-http://www.xs-pc.com/products/radiators/rx-series/rx360...

But currently all of the triple 140mm rads are too thick to fit at the top of my case and still have fans. I've seen some case mods for the top but none look good. I want the "RX360 Triple Fan Radiator" but it is too thick and hits my RAM and a heatsink on the mobo.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 4:45:07 AM

why not mount the rad on top of the case with stand off's or off the back of the case?
July 12, 2012 11:02:01 AM

I have a NZXT Phantom so if I mounted it on the top outside I would have to remove the fan control and modify the plastic. I'd rather keep it internal. If I cut the top of the case I would be able to put a normal rad, but it would only be push or pull. I figured a slim rad with push and pull would be better.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 1:57:50 PM

Mount the rad to the back of the case to a 120mm fan mount using a rad box or standoffs.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 2:16:26 PM

Push/pull doesn't matter as long as you have good fans.
July 12, 2012 4:25:39 PM

If I mount it on the outside can I paint the outside if the radiator without effecting the cooling? Not the fins, just the flat surface around the radiator. The fans I am looking at are the Corsair SP series.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 4:28:10 PM

good point i like the shroud configuration

seems to work as well as the push/pull but for a little less cash
July 12, 2012 4:49:52 PM

Ooh, I see. Should I get the 120mm version instead of the 140mm? Since the fans I'm getting are 120mm. Originally I was going ti get the 140, but the performance of the 120mm looks to be far better.
Sorry for all the posts and edits, typing a lot on this phone can be a pain.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 4:53:30 PM

barthalamoo said:
If I mount it on the outside can I paint the outside if the radiator without effecting the cooling? Not the fins, just the flat surface around the radiator.

Yes, you can paint the housing any color you want...it won't impact cooling (well, technically it would, but negligibly), just avoid painting the fins and tubes much as this is where the thermal transition takes place; more paint, more insulated these surfaces become.
July 13, 2012 12:00:01 AM

Does a 1450 RPM fan be acceptable on a 10FPI rad? I understand that low FPI usually means low RPM, the only problem is that I am not sure what constitutes low/med/high RPM. I've seen many over 1600rpm so I'm guessing anything above 1600rpm is considered high speed.
a b à CPUs
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 13, 2012 2:55:38 AM

Yeah, that's fine, low FPI is fine for low to medium speed fans. Of course, cooling potential goes up with higher airflow, so you should be fine.
a b K Overclocking
July 17, 2012 9:35:12 PM

rubix_1011 said:
Yeah, that's fine, low FPI is fine for low to medium speed fans. Of course, cooling potential goes up with higher airflow, so you should be fine.

If I'm not mistaken, for low fin rad, cooling potential only goes up to a certain point and got maxed out at medium fan speed (1000 to 1500 rpm) or so. Only medium/high fin radar continue to benefit as fan rpm goes up.
!