stealth27

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I am building a new pc and have run into a snag.
Build is:
mobo: Asus M4A79XTD
cpu: AMD 965 BE 140w (should not be C3 issue)
VC: XFX 4890 1GB

My problem is I have everything hooked up and ready to go as well as I know how and when I plug in my old VGA connected monitor via an adapter (4890 only has DVI slots and I know I am getting a new monitor for Christmas) and hit the power button everything runs, fans, etc., but the monitor does not respond. I am assuming it is a problem between the VC, mobo and monitor.

One thing I thought was strange was that this relatively new board's PCI E-16 slot is not long enough for my entire 4890, the last connector is hanging off the end. Everything else fits fine but the slot is just not long enough for all the card is this normal? Is it meant to be like that and should it still work properly despite this?

This is my first relatively all new build. I am using a harddrive with already existing OS and data. Do I need to have the mobo cd or win cd's in for it to boot to something or shouldn't it just boot to bios?

Any help would be much appreciated, let me know if more info is needed.

Thanks

If you are refering to the part of the card that slides into the PCIe slot that is hanging out, that might be by design if it's the 3rd section that is about 1/4"-1/2" long. That's part is just there to snap into place.

If everything turns on, but not the monitor, then it is likely an issue with the video card. You'll want to make sure it's seated well and has all the power connecters it's supposed to have, and that they are not shared with other parts on the system. Also check to make sure the Wattage of your PSU is strong enough for the card you purchased.

stealth27

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

That is the part that I am talking about and that is what it looked like is just a hook, but I was concerned that a part of the card is just hanging out.

I have a 1000W PSU (should have posted that) but I will check again on the VC and make sure it is seated properly.

Any chance that my already established hard drive needs to be reformatted and that it is causing it to not boot to bios or anything? Or even that my CMOS got unseated in shipping or in installing?

Thanks again.

stealth27

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I tried to re-seat the video card and make sure everything was plugged in correctly, but now it won't even fire up. When I hit the power button the fans and lights and such spin for maybe a sec and then stop. Basically nothing happens.

I am concerned at this point that I am going to or have damaged something by trying to boot up with something obviously not connected right.

There is a cord with a white 4 pin connector from the case that I have plugged into a 4 pin female from the power supply and then attached to that cord is another white 2 pin cord that I think is a grounding wire, which I would assume means that it doesn't need to be plugged in, but I don't know.

Also on my case is 3 case fans that I have all connected to my power supply via those same 4 pin white heads. But on my motherboard there are these little 3 and 4 pin spots that are labeled power fan and chassis fan 1 and 2 and I have nothing attached to them. Is that a problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Would a screen shot help?

stealth27

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Didn't notice the other post. I am using two sticks (2GB a piece Gskillz) and I have not tried booting with only one. I can try that. Just out of curiosity why would that make a difference?