How will a graphics card improve gaming performance

kodancer

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
I know this sounds like a stupid question, but I'm fairly new at hardwares and stuff (haha I don't even know the right term) so bear with me.

Anyway, I checked on canyourunit.com to see if I can run a game that I wanted, and it said that I meet all the requirements except the graphics card.

I borrowed the game from my friend just to check if it'll run. And it does work, but there's a slight lag throughout the game.

Would getting a better graphics card smooth out the gameplay? I've always thought that graphics cards were just for better graphics and had nothing to do with the actual speed of the game. But correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks

EDIT: I turned the settings all the way down to the point I can't bear the graphics, and it still wouldn't smooth out the lag.

kodancer

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Okay, so I just installed a new video card with the right slot. I turned on my computer and the screen resolution was a bit off (which is normal). But a few minutes later, the monitor went blank. Now I don't see anything at all.

Can someone help me??

kodancer

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
msi nvidia 8500gt td512eh

it's not workingggg ahhh. I keep getting a blank screen whenever i replace my old video card to msi nvidia 8500gt td512eh. I uninstalled the old driver too. The problem might be from the power supply, but I have no idea how to check that. All i know are:

i have a dell dimension 8400
Intel Pentium 4 (single core) 3.00ghz
1gb Stock ram