First time gaming build $1000

brolly

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within a month. No rush. BUDGET RANGE: $1000 but the cheaper the better (including monitor) After Rebates (the less the better)

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, multi-tasking, surfing the internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: speakers, OS (have windows 7 ultimate)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ncix.com (they assemble the pc and price match and i can pick it up in store) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Canada

PARTS PREFERENCES: I would like to use an Intel CPU (probably i5 and 24" LCD and full tower case (if that's neccesary, would like to have dual video cards eventually so not sure what size i should go with)

OVERCLOCKING: Yes (probably, never done it before but would like to. read the i5 is great for it) SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe (probably in the future when the first video card I get is cheaper)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Don't know what is good so suggestions here would be great. Would like a 24" monitor but don't know what to look for in a monitor. (is 3d gaming that good?)

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I'm looking to make a computer with good upgradability for a really good deal. Not sure if I should get a directx 11 video card? Was thinking about getting a video card that would be good to run dual down the road. Will run dual monitors, usually have my computer connected to my 42" plasma to watch movies. Can't think of anything else right now.

Bought a pre build at first! But canceled my order.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=BDL10004135&CMP=EMC-email_special_promo_3

But was convinced on another forum that I could get a better custom build for the same money so I'm really hoping to do so.

Thanks a lot for all the help and advice, it's much appreciated! Looking forward to my first custom built PC!

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Maybe you would like to give us an idea what you're currently looking at and then we could give our suggestions. Otherwise I'd recommened reading other forum postes by other users looking for the same type of system configuration. Toms December System Builders Marathon offers some good idea's for diffrent gaming configurations!

brolly

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I was thinking about using an i5 CPU and maybe a radeon 5770 because I was looking for a good card to crossfire down the road. Not sure what to look for in ram or how big a power supply I'd need or what to look for in a monitor really.

I actually read that december system builders guide and in the $700 build they are using amd which I wasn't really wanting to go for and a 4870 and I was thinking I should go with dx 11.

slc_custom

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
With gaming being your first priority your going to want to get the best graphics card you can. The processor just needs to be fast enough to prevent any bottle necking.

A monitor is going to eat a good chunk of your budget leaving about $800 or less for the components. In that price range a dx 10 or 10.1 card is going to give you the most value for the money. But if dx 11 is important enough to you then definitely go for an hd 5xxx card.