New graphics card - odd issue

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
I got a few new parts for my computer this holiday, including a new video card (XFX NVIDIA GTS 250 1 gig) and 3 gigs of RAM. I took this one step at a time - loading in my RAM first, tried out my games to see if there were any changes. I then loaded in the new card, got it seated nice and tight, monitor cord is connected properly and drivers for the monitor and the card are both up to date. Windows xp itself looks fine. Resolution on the monitor is the same as it was for the previous card.

I got call of duty 4 along with this card. Aside from that I also play WoW with this computer. In both of these games I'm noticing these faint horizontal lines flickering up and down my screen. They stop for a few seconds then start back up. I've done a fair share of research and have come up empty on exactly what's going on here. I realize this is pretty vague, but I'm just not sure as to what to call these lines I'm seeing. Any help would be appreciated.

Asus M2N32-SLI deluxe Wireless Edition
AMD 5400+ @ 3.04 GHz OC'd
3 gigs of DDR2 RAM
XFX Nvidia GTS 250
Viewsonic VA703b monitor

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Only when I'm gaming.

PSU is a thermaltake 750w with a 12v rail amp rating of 56. Should be plenty good for this card.

When changing cards, I always recommend download latest driver, removing installed, driver, reboot, turn off, install card, boot, install new driver, reboot...and yes even when using driver package from same vendor. I am thinking that on of the reasons those driver files we d/l are so huge is that they contain specific settings and tweaks for individual series of cards....I'm thinking kind alike a "fresh install" of the OS....you might get away with it, but sometimes it's gonna bite ya.

U got point on that jack... :)

When i replacing my old X1650 Pro with HD 4850, i just "fresh install" my OS and lots of things to do like re-install all the programs and games that i have...

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
GPU temps are as follows at the moment:

49C Idle
52C while gaming

I don't believe it's tearing - I really wish I could post a video of it because I have no clue what to call it. It's kind of like watching a tv with a bad picture. After seeing a few different images of tearing, I'd have to say these really aren't that bad, but just enough to be annoying after 10 mins. I'll try it out with vsync on, just to see how it goes.

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
So, go figure, 5 minutes after I posted this, these lines came back. Is it possible this card isn't getting enough power or is getting too hot?

Bob07

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2009
Ok, so after a bit more testing I think I've finally solved the problem. I used another monitor first to confirm that was just the card and not my monitor. Then I made it so vsync was "force on" rather than letting it be application controlled and that seems to have fixed it. No more lines after 5 hours of gaming. Thanks all for the assistance.