Your question

Where can I get distilled water

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
July 9, 2012 10:43:21 AM

Hi

I'm building my first loop and need help with coolant. From all the research I've done the view is to use water not the proprietary coolant mixes from Phobya etc which cost a bomb and glow in the dark.

The problem I'm finding is that some say only use distilled (plus PT Nuke) whereas others say de-ionised (plus PT Nuke) is fine. I can find de-ionised no problem locally but can't find distilled. On the internet distilled is very expensive due to shipping.

Has anyone used de-ionised long term with no ill effects or will this be courting disaster? I plan to drain my loop fairly regularly for the first couple of years anyway.

Thanks in advance

Mag

More about : distilled water

a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 10:51:25 AM

should be able to get distilled at car parts shops etc. your supposed to use distilled water in your car radiator not tap water, or you could just make your own boil water have an angled surface above it so that the steam hits it condenses into to water droplets and runs into a bottle or something to collect it. the idea is only pure water turns to steam and the rest of the sh!t in the water stays in your pot
July 9, 2012 10:53:17 AM

grocery stores usually carry it as well
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 11:01:06 AM

Grocery stores or auto part stores should have it. water collected by a dehumidifier is the same as distilled.

The only difference between distilled and deionized should be deionized could have organic matter(bacteria) which you are going to kill anyway.you could always boil it too. Neither have minerals(that would build up in the loop) which would be the real issue.

I'm just talking water though I don't mess with liquid cooling. there's a guide in the forum though
a b K Overclocking
July 9, 2012 8:44:53 PM

Grocery stores are your best bet. I've found distilled water at my local Walmart, CVS, Safeway, and Kroger.

Quote:
Grocery stores or auto part stores should have it. water collected by a dehumidifier is the same as distilled.

Water collected by a dehumidifier is not the same, because it is not boiled, and therefore not sterile nor free of impurities.

The key is that the water is as free from impurities as possible, and is sterilized (distilled water, by definition, is boiled and then condensed). The water that comes from the store is much better than what could be done at home, unless you have a clean room.

Deionized water should be similar, and as long as you have a good biocide (PT Nuke or silver killcoil) you should be fine with either kind.
July 10, 2012 9:17:04 AM

jasont78 said:
should be able to get distilled at car parts shops etc. your supposed to use distilled water in your car radiator not tap water, or you could just make your own boil water have an angled surface above it so that the steam hits it condenses into to water droplets and runs into a bottle or something to collect it. the idea is only pure water turns to steam and the rest of the sh!t in the water stays in your pot

Thanks for your reply. My local car parts has de-ionised not distilled which seems to be what confuses everyone. A later post says I can use this de-ionised which is pretty much mineral free as long as I use a decent biocide so I will try that initially.

Regards

Mag
July 10, 2012 9:18:02 AM

osamabinrobot said:
grocery stores usually carry it as well

Thanks for your reply. Again all my locals carry is de-ionised which is not quite the same.

Regards

Mag
July 10, 2012 9:20:11 AM

unksol said:

The only difference between distilled and deionized should be deionized could have organic matter(bacteria) which you are going to kill anyway.you could always boil it too. Neither have minerals(that would build up in the loop) which would be the real issue.

I'm just talking water though I don't mess with liquid cooling. there's a guide in the forum though

Thanks for your reply. If I try boiling de-ionised water won't I reintroduce minerals - my pans/kettles etc always have some lime (calcium) in them.

Regards

Mag
August 11, 2014 5:09:28 PM

Water from a dehumidifier works just like distilled water in the sense that it has been evaporated and condensed.
Thou it may pick up minerals and bacteria from the condenser if you was to boil it it would be closer to distilled water.
!