HIS ATI Radeon HD 3650 - Slight error

gangstapop4

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hey guys, I try playing a game like CSS (Counter Strike Source) and it laggs,

I went into the Radeon Control Center, fixed it a little bit it runs better (little bit)

Anyway I'm planning on buying COD4 and COD4 2.

These are my specs, tell me if something is wrong! PLEASE!

SPECS:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

Intel Celeron 2.40GHz

1.24G Ram

DirectX 11

--GRAPHIC CARD--

ATI Radeon HD 3650 512MB

-SCREENSIZE-

1280 x 1024 (32 BIT) (75Hz)

PLEASE help me.

gangstapop4

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Sorry for double post, but about COD4, I shown my specs to another person, he said
I could get 30-35 fps on High on cod4..

But if css is worser graphics than cod4 it will have less fps and lag MUCH more D:

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I have a 3650 in my notebook, it ain't that great truth be told. In fact it really isn't that great. But then again neither is celeron although CS:S shouldn't be a problem.

If I had it installed I might be able to help but I don't. What settings do you run CS:S at?

The 3650 on a notebook would be like a 3450 or worse on a desktop.

Agree with BDDazza, that system just can't play modern games.

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
I don't see why the notebook would be any different from the desktop variant.

Care to explain why. I mean, I haven't checked any reviews but specs are the same I believe.

A notebook 3650 & desktop ones are completely different.
They share only a name.

If you look at notebook reviews of high-end gaming laptops, a GTX 280M SLI has worse frames than a single GTX 280.

A 8600M & a 8600GT are different.

Simply put, ATI/nVidia can't fit the desktop version onto a such a small card & TDP.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
I don't see why the notebook would be any different from the desktop variant.

Care to explain why. I mean, I haven't checked any reviews but specs are the same I believe.

Notebook and Desktop gpus of the same name are VERY different.
Mobile parts are clocked lower and are chopped down versions of their desktop equivalents.
Example: I have an HP Pavilion dv5t with a Geforce 9600M GT
Geforce 9600 GT specs: 64 Shaders, 32 Texture Units, 16 ROPs, 256-bit bus, 650 Mhz Core, 1625 Mhz Shaders, 1800 Mhz Memory
Geforce 9600M GT specs: 32 Shaders, 16 Texture Units, 8 ROPs, 128-bit bus, 600 Mhz Core, 1200 Mhz Shaders, 1600 Mhz Memory

So basically the Mobile version is less than half the processing power of the desktop version. But the desktop version has a 59w TDP and the mobile version has a 23w TDP so it also uses less than half as much power.

The names basically tell you which tier they are at. Not this name means it has this much power.
Does that help?

gangstapop4

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Its a combination of issues.

Your rig is not equipped to run windows 7 well. You need about 2 GBs of ram to run windows 7 and you've got less and multi-tasking in windows 7 is going to be poor with a single core Intel Celeron.

As far as gaming the 3650 is a very under powered video card so its understandable that it can not run COD 4, COD 4 requires near 3 GBs of ram to operate correctly. You've got only 1.24GBs of ram which is less than half of COD 4's requirements.

If you want to play games this isn’t a gaming computer, as far as older games like CSS and COD 2 I think you'll have to downgrade the operating system to XP because as it stands Windows 7 is eating up too much resources (ram + processor) and leaving your games with scraps.

I'm going to choose yours as best answer.

But.. Call Of Duty 4 doesn't need 3 gigs of ram..

Plus I had 4 gigs of ram originally with Win XP..

madhu037

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I have the same problem with windows xp and am using 2Gb ram I cant play CS:S as soon as the bots join in it becomes dead slow and sucks.But o.k with counter strike when I am playing alone but when I join servers It slows down like a snail.
can anyone help me ,thanks in advance!!!!

sabot00

Distinguished
May 4, 2008
Clock rates you may well have a point on.

But you didn't actually check the specs of the mobile and desktop parts. Not all are different. Unless ATI's site is lying. They share exactly the same specs, and clock speed won't make it that much different. Sure as hell not like a 3450.

ATI's site only shows specs for the desktop variants.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
Clock rates you may well have a point on.

But you didn't actually check the specs of the mobile and desktop parts. Not all are different. Unless ATI's site is lying. They share exactly the same specs, and clock speed won't make it that much different. Sure as hell not like a 3450.

Clock speed can definitely make a difference if there is enough of a gap.
The desktop HD 3650 is clocked at 725 Core, 800 Memory (for GDDR3 that is, I dunno what the memory clock speed is for the GDDR2 version)
The mobile HD 3650 is clocked at 500 Core, 700 Memory (again for GDDR3, not sure about GDDR2)

That is a significant gap, especially for a card that isn't good in the first place.

madhu037

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Without knowing the full specification of your PC e.g. video card, processor, connection speed etc it makes it difficult to help you or diagnose your problem.

SPECS:

Windows xp Ultimate 32-bit

Intel Celeron 2.80GHz

2Gb Ram

DirectX 9

--GRAPHIC CARD--

ATI Radeon 9800 series

-SCREENSIZE-

1360 x 1024 (32 BIT) (75Hz)

Thanks in advance

madhu037

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
lol I already answered your question

Its a combination of issues.

Your rig is not equipped to run windows 7 well. You need about 2 GBs of ram to run windows 7 and you've got less and multi-tasking in windows 7 is going to be poor with a single core Intel Celeron.

As far as gaming the 3650 is a very under powered video card so its understandable that it can not run COD 4, COD 4 requires near 3 GBs of ram to operate correctly. You've got only 1.24GBs of ram which is less than half of COD 4's requirements.

If you want to play games this isn’t a gaming computer, as far as older games like CSS and COD 2 I think you'll have to downgrade the operating system to XP because as it stands Windows 7 is eating up too much resources (ram + processor) and leaving your games with scraps.

thmks for the reply, but i think u have mistaken I have windows xp sp3

madhu037

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
It makes no difference, my reply still applies to your situation even with windows XP as far as the processor.

CSS needs a gaming video card, the ATI Radeon 9800 is old and its about 8 years old now. The 9800 came out 2 years before Counter Strike Source so its not suprising it doesnt run the game well especially when coupled with an outdated single core Celeron.

Secondly I think that CSS is not optimised well for old single core processors, when the CSS came out just before dual cores like the Pentium Ds were becoming popular, chances are the developers did not think about the poor single core users on crippled Celerons back in 2004. :(

Thank u very much this was actually the answer I was looking for.

madhu037

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
It makes no difference, my reply still applies to your situation even with windows XP as far as the processor.

CSS needs a gaming video card, the ATI Radeon 9800 is old and its about 8 years old now. The 9800 came out 2 years before Counter Strike Source so its not suprising it doesnt run the game well especially when coupled with an outdated single core Celeron.

Secondly I think that CSS is not optimised well for old single core processors, when the CSS came out just before dual cores like the Pentium Ds were becoming popular, chances are the developers did not think about the poor single core users on crippled Celerons back in 2004. :(

Sorry one more thing can I overclock my processor,will it help

gangstapop4

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009

There is something called "New Topic" for a reason.