Overclocking, first time.

Paul F1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Hi,

I will soon be building my first computer and i am planning on buying a 2500k, i want to overclock it but i am not sure if it would be easy enough for me to do so as i would have never done it before and I also do not know what kind of cooler i would need for the overclocked cpu.
The reason i would prefer to do it myself is because i would save around £60+ as opposed to a overclocked bundle.

Also what mobo should i use for the overclock? I'm looking at around less than £100 and i have so far picked this one http://www.scan.co.uk/products/msi-z77a-g45-intel-z77-s-1155-ddr3-sata-iii-6gb-s-sata-raid-pcie-30-%28x16%29-d-sub-dvi-d-hdmi-atx

Paul F1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks for the link and for checking the board.
Will it be relatively easy for me to overclock the cpu after reading the guide on how to do it. I've quickly looked at a few videos and it seems to be a matter of monitoring the temperature and changing your cpu settings.

G

it is a real easy/simple matter to get a overclock up to 4.2Gz. keeping an eye on the temps along with keeping the cpu voltage down, if you decide to go past that, helps maintain a longer life and better stability. it is a lot easier than it use to be.

Paul F1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012

Thanks, i'll do the overclocking myself then :)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Overclocking is easy and enjoyable, if you're into that kind of thing. Just don't go nuts with your voltages. Most overclocking guides will give you safe voltage ranges for all the settings. Stick to those and you'll be fine.

Also, if you're worried about killing your chip, Intel now sells a kind of overclocking insurance, called the Performance Tuning Protection Plan. $20 for the 2500k, one time replacement if you manage to kill the chip by running it outside it's normal specifications.

Paul F1

Honorable
Jul 6, 2012
Thanks, i saw that insurance on scan before while i was browsing for prices. I think i may be able to buy one from intel for $20 as well.

I'll probably overclock it to around 4.2ghz as i doubt i'll need anything higher than that for a while.