Sign in with
Your question

Drive Cloning

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2011 9:09:31 AM

What are like the trusted application for cloning a drive?
the one that you already used and had no problem with it.
ill be cloning my hdd to my brand new ssd

Thank you! :hello: 

More about : drive cloning

a b G Storage
December 9, 2011 9:25:38 AM

I have recently used the Western Digital version of Acronis True image but that was on mechanical hard drives. Very fast and trouble free. It is downloadable from their support site. I am not positive, but I think one of the drives has to be Western Digital for it to work. I cloned a WD to a Samsung.

In the past I have also used the open source Clonezilla program. Also very fast and reliable. Does not care what brand HDD you have. A bit more complicated to use, but has more options as well.

I have yet to deal with an SSD, so I am assuming cloning to one is doable.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2011 10:27:20 AM

I have used Acronis, and the Western Digital program. One of the drives does have to be Western Digital though for WD's software to work. Either one of the them have always worked great for me, I like Acronis better of the two though. Its interface I think is much better, and it doesn't have to be a Western Digital drive for it to work.
m
l
Related resources
December 9, 2011 10:56:01 AM

I just used EaseUS Todo Backup Free to clone my HDD to a larger HDD - worked flawlessly
m
l
a c 379 G Storage
December 9, 2011 11:14:55 AM

As a side note, cloning from a HDD to a SSD is not recommended. A clean install to the SSD will be a better option.

I've used clonezilla before with no problems, but this was going from a HDD to HDD.
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2011 12:03:35 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
As a side note, cloning from a HDD to a SSD is not recommended. A clean install to the SSD will be a better option.

I've used clonezilla before with no problems, but this was going from a HDD to HDD.

Yes, this is very good point. Windows 7 has several specific parameters that are set for use with an SSD, that are set completely different when installed on a standard mechanical drive. Simply cloning an installed OS from a mechanical drive to an SSD would leave these parameters set for undesirable performance and life expectancy of the SSD.
m
l
!