Will cpu upgrade be worth it?

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
Hello,

I am wondering if a 2.9ghz Athlon II X2 245 will be worth buying to replace my current processor, an Athlon II X2 215 @2.7ghz?
Or should i save up for a little longer and get a triple core Athlon II X3 425?
My current system:
400w OCZ StealthXstream psu
4gb DDR3 1066MHZ Ram
320gb Sata hdd
Athlon II X2 215 @ 2.7ghz
AM3 only mobo

P.s. I am in england so if you plan to suggest a different one (if appropriate and Less than £55) it has to be shippable to the uk.

Thanks!

No it would not. a 200MHz speed increase would not be noticeable most of the time now. Save your money for a 3GHz or higher 3-4 core processor to notice any difference. By the way, why do you want to upgrade?

It does depend on your usage though too. So tell me your usage and I'll tell you what I think.

If you really want to look into that extra 200MHz, I would recommend looking up an overclocking guide. 2.9GHz can easily be achieved with stock cooling and voltage.

Flightsimluke

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2010
I play games like FSX, sims 3 and football manager 2010. Also used for internet and basic office usage. Will it not be worth upgrading with a Athlon II X3 2.7 ghz triplecore then?

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
No. If you want to get better performance in games, the CPU will only impact FSX a little, and the others will not see much improvement since your Graphics Card will have to be upgraded too for noticeable performance boosts. Also, you're not running any productivity software nor CPU intensive tasks, so the upgrade is not worth it.
And on top of that, it seems as if your PC was pretty new, so wait at least a year till higher clocked quads get cheaper and then make the upgrade (together with a graphics card).

Just don't be fooled by so many people commenting on Core i7s , Core i5s, Quad Cores, Phenom IIs; and so on. Your setup is more than OK for your needs, and regardless of many bragger's comments, you don't NEED über fast multicore CPUs.

I myself upgraded from the Athlon X2 5200+ to the Athlon II 435 since I've got an ATI 5770 and some games (Resident Evil 5, Battlefield Bad Company 2, GTA IV) needed the third core, and since I do some video encoding as well.

HVDynamo

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2008
I agree with the other guys, its not worth paying for a 200Mhz bump, overclock it to that, its free and pretty much guaranteed to make it there and be stable. I am still running a Athlon 64 X2 4400+ (socket 939) mostly due to lack of money to upgrade; its way slower than your processor and yet still fills my gaming and general usage needs. If I were upgrading, I wouldn't consider anything less than a 3GHz + quad core of either intel or AMD design.

Your system is still pretty nice and most games will run great on it.

I also am getting sick of people bragging about how they can get 200FPS in games when the monitor can only display 60FPS anyway.

Your CPU and Graphics card seem reasonably balanced. It varies on the game. I can tell you that Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3 will run really great on your system and upgrading it would provide little, if any benefit.

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009

I totally agree, whats the point of having the best of the best (So you can have a 15 FPS boost when you are already getting 60FPS)... I dont see why one would want more than say 40, after that, to me, it looks unreal. But that is my personal taste... :) :lol: