I7 920 Scythe mugen 2 rev. b replacement

Rawhader

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hey guys,

I currently have the scythe mugen 2 rev. b on my i7 920 @ stock, and having trouble with it. I had to reinstall the mugen due to ram replacement, and it's a real pain in the ass.

I cleaned my CPU + mugen with rubbing alcohol 70%, used MX-3 in combination with pea method, and tightened the screws in a way they stick out through the nuts like 0.5 mm.

Current temps as stated by Coretemp: 44 minus and 52 max idle.

During Prime95 stress test temps are: 64 minus 69 max.

I reseated the mugen several times, including using the vertical line method instead of the pea method, but the results are the same.

I'm considering getting a new CPU cooler for like max 60 bucks.

Can someone advise me a good alternative for the mugen? (preferably one which is easier to place)

Thank you in advance :)

Rawhader

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
All right, nvm, I found the CPU cooler I want.

In the end I brought the choice down to the Corsair H50, Antec H2O 620 and Thermalright Venomous X. Air versus water, which one wins?

From those 3 the Thermalright is cheapest (10 euro cheap than the Antec, and more than 20 euros cheaper than the Corsair) and the temps are the same, if not, better than the others. The Thermalright also produces the least sound when the 3 are compared with S-Flex fans.

The Thermalright comes without fans, but since I have the Mugen 2, I already have a fan. With a fan its about 10 euros more expensive which makes the price the same as the Antec. But since the Thermalright still cools better and produces less sound, the Thermalright is still the way to go.

Installation seems to be heaven compared to the Mugen 2 rev. B.

So in the end the choice wasn't hard, the Thermalright it is.

After receiving, placing and testing I'll report the results.

D

Deleted member 217926

The Mugen 2 is a pain to mount I agree but it's a great cooler for the money. Did you tighten the screws just a tiny bit at a time?

Rawhader

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Hi anort, thank you for your reply.

Ye I did tighten the screws one by one a tiny bit in a diagonal manner. In the end I couldn't tighten the screws any further, so it's at its max.

The best temps idle I had gotten with the mugen are about 32 minus and 36 max. Full load I can't really remember but I think it was somewhere around 50-55 degrees. And that was when I build this computer and after reseating the mugen 5 times.

Now I'm having trouble with the temps again, and I'm afraid I might damage my MB if I keep reseating the mugen. I'm also almost out of cooling paste.

My current temps:

Idle:

ScytheMugenidle.png

Load:

ScytheMugenload.png

Afaik the Thermalright should perform the same, or maybe slightly less than a good performing Mugen, and it's way easier to place. It's also only 8 bucks more expensive than the Mugen.

D

Deleted member 217926

Those temps do look a bit high for a stock 920. I would think the 920 would run a little hotter than my 2600K but my Mugen 2 keeps my CPU in the upper 60s at 4.5Ghz. A core might hit 70 on a hot day after 4 or 5 hours of Prime 95. I use IC Diamond thermal compound.

Rawhader

Honorable
Jul 9, 2012
Ye it's really weird. I think it's a sum of factors which makes this situation the way it is.

The mounting difficulty, thermal paste and stress on the motherboard (could be it has bend a little bit).

Further more, the 120mm fan in the back of my case (CM 690 II Advanced) assists a bit in pulling air from the CPU cooler, but the 140mm fan in the top of the case interferes with this airflow. So that could be a problem.

But the main reason should be the Mugen overall. The Thermalright should be a great buy. It's only 42 euro's and performs about the same as the Noctua NH-D14, mainly thanks to its pressure mounting system (the use of springs). And the Noctua costs around the 62 euro's.

TRENDING THREADS