Your question

[solved] First Build, $700 Gaming Rig

Last response: in Systems
December 27, 2009 2:00:05 PM

[edited 12/28 after few replies and more research]

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Today, if possible

BUDGET RANGE: ~$700 (no more than $750 before rebates), less if possible

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: I have some old monitors and a keyboard/mouse laying around I can use for now

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com (though I'm not picky if better prices can be had elsewhere)

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: USA

PARTS PREFERENCES: whatever is best for the money

OVERCLOCKING: I'm willing to give it a shot

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: if it's better for less, then sure

MONITOR RESOLUTION: when I have the money for a new monitor I'll be looking for something in the 24" range, so probably 1920 x 1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I haven't owned a desktop in almost 10 years, but I'm back into gaming and my laptop isn't cutting it anymore

Originally, I was basing this on the September SBM, but have had to change plans significantly due to availability and rising prices.

I was originally hoping to use the SAPPHIRE 100270SR Radeon HD 4850 X2 2GB 512-bit (256-bit x 2) GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card as it seems to give similar performance to the similar 2-card setup and I could have saved a good deal by going to a single card motherboard.

Thank you in advance for all of your input. See below for the current build I am considering.
December 27, 2009 2:08:40 PM

Links are all broken :( 
m
l
December 27, 2009 4:16:58 PM

Fixed. Sorry about that. Apparently these forums don't like "" around the URL's.
m
l
Related resources
December 28, 2009 4:27:48 AM

Due to unavailability of certain items in the original post (most notably the gpu's) and other pricing fluctuations (including shipping costs and the availability of bundles), here is my significantly revised setup:

LITE-ON Black 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer

NZXT M59 - 001BK Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD5000AAKS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

SAPPHIRE 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card - unfortunately I'm going to have to settle for a lot less gpu to start than the original setup. it should still be leaps and bounds better than using my laptop though, and I'll be all set-up to throw another identical card when it becomes necessary - unless of course someone has a better solution

Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

CPU/Motherboard/RAM Combo:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ955FBGIBOX
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL

I could definitely skimp more on the processor, but this is what I ended up with after playing with dozens of combo deals and factoring in shipping costs. If you can show me different components that will save me at least $20 without decreasing overall performance too much, I'm all ears.

It should be noted, however, that I do want a motherboard that supports crossfire as I'm sure I'll end up needing that second gpu in the not-so-distant future - unless of course you can work some magic on my setup and find me a single, more powerful gpu without upping the overall cost by more than a couple of dollars.
m
l
December 28, 2009 1:12:58 PM

Also, as this is essentially my first build (never built completely from scratch, and haven't assembled many components in nearly 10 years) - is there anything I'm missing/should know (e.g. extra cables to buy, etc.)?
m
l
!