How to OC fX-8120

hi, I was wanting to oc my 8120 but I need advice i have no idea on how to do it and i don't want to mess up my computer. :)

my specs
PSU-corsair 850w enthusiast series
CPU- FX-8120
GPU- HD radeon 6850
RAM- 8GB ddr3 1333
MOBO- GA-970a-UD3
HDD- caviar black 1TB

Thanks for your time!
14 answers Last reply
More about 8120
  1. PanicMaster85 said:
    hi, I was wanting to oc my 8120 but I need advice i have no idea on how to do it and i don't want to mess up my computer. :)

    my specs
    PSU-corsair 850w enthusiast series
    CPU- FX-8120
    GPU- HD radeon 6850
    RAM- 8GB ddr3 1333
    MOBO- GA-970a-UD3
    HDD- caviar black 1TB

    Thanks for your time!

    there is something called GOOGLE. you should try it some time. :sarcastic:

    put some effort into it yourself before asking others for help. that's just being lazy. :non: :pfff: if you run into problems or just don't understand something AFTER doing some more research on what you are confused about, THEN ask for help.
  2. mmkay :P
  3. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JvS1T1qAW1k

    this should be a good video for you because of BIOS similarity. for stressing your CPU, get prime 95, not that piece of crap he has.

    edit: he also is a complete retard when it comes to monitering temps or he just has an insane watercooling setup. when overclocking you should hit the 70s under max load for a while.
  4. Don't forget to turn off HPC feature on your FX cpu. It throttles the cpu when it goes out of its default thermal specifications. Leaving it on will counter overclocking. Do you have a fan on the side of your case which blows air directly on the motherboard? Besides getting a beefy heatsink its recommended that you also cool the motherboard since it also gets hot.
  5. COOLER?
  6. hyper 212+

    and thank your marshall11 i'll try that tommarow(gotta go to sleep)
  7. Phyrexiancure said:
    Don't forget to turn off HPC feature on your FX cpu. It throttles the cpu when it goes out of its default thermal specifications. Leaving it on will counter overclocking. Do you have a fan on the side of your case which blows air directly on the motherboard? Besides getting a beefy heatsink its recommended that you also cool the motherboard since it also gets hot.

    how would i do that?
  8. best advice watch loads of youtube videos then try it out get a case with really good cooling and a really good heat sink. youtube is your best bet thats how i learntjust pick bit from each video even if its not your own cpu config and just try it out. all comes together soon enough.

    couple of tips 1: turn off turbo core
    2: turn off spread spectrum
    3: turn off cool and quiet
    4: make sure fans are at 100%
    5:change by multiplier or bus speed. if changing by bus speed make sure u down your memory as will start overclocking your ram with you dont wanna start doing that yet.
    6: dont got to crazy on the volts more volts mean more heat
    7:download core temp! (keep eye on temps!)
    8: leave rest for you and good luck!
  9. and i have no idea why there is a smiley face on my comment lol!
  10. stew198269 said:
    best advice watch loads of youtube videos then try it out get a case with really good cooling and a really good heat sink. youtube is your best bet thats how i learntjust pick bit from each video even if its not your own cpu config and just try it out. all comes together soon enough.

    couple of tips 1: turn off turbo core
    2: turn off spread spectrum
    3: turn off cool and quiet
    4: make sure fans are at 100%
    5:change by multiplier or bus speed. if changing by bus speed make sure u down your memory as will start overclocking your ram with you dont wanna start doing that yet.
    6: dont got to crazy on the volts more volts mean more heat
    7:download core temp! (keep eye on temps!)
    8: leave rest for you and good luck!

    ok thank you i'll start watching videos
  11. no worrys here to help!
  12. thanks :D
  13. I have a question about this aswell if possible.
    Don't want to start a new topic because there are many.
    I've the same processor and the same mb, i've oc'ed mine to 4,2Mhz but when I boot for the first time I have to reset.
    I've put my voltage to ~1,35
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking