How to OC fX-8120

PanicMaster85

Distinguished
hi, I was wanting to oc my 8120 but I need advice i have no idea on how to do it and i don't want to mess up my computer. :)

my specs
PSU-corsair 850w enthusiast series
CPU- FX-8120
GPU- HD radeon 6850
RAM- 8GB ddr3 1333
MOBO- GA-970a-UD3
HDD- caviar black 1TB

Thanks for your time!

marshal11

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012

there is something called GOOGLE. you should try it some time. :sarcastic:

put some effort into it yourself before asking others for help. that's just being lazy. :non: :pfff: if you run into problems or just don't understand something AFTER doing some more research on what you are confused about, THEN ask for help.

Phyrexiancure

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2011
Don't forget to turn off HPC feature on your FX cpu. It throttles the cpu when it goes out of its default thermal specifications. Leaving it on will counter overclocking. Do you have a fan on the side of your case which blows air directly on the motherboard? Besides getting a beefy heatsink its recommended that you also cool the motherboard since it also gets hot.

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

how would i do that?

stew198269

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
best advice watch loads of youtube videos then try it out get a case with really good cooling and a really good heat sink. youtube is your best bet thats how i learntjust pick bit from each video even if its not your own cpu config and just try it out. all comes together soon enough.

couple of tips 1: turn off turbo core
2: turn off spread spectrum
3: turn off cool and quiet
4: make sure fans are at 100%
5:change by multiplier or bus speed. if changing by bus speed make sure u down your memory as will start overclocking your ram with you dont wanna start doing that yet.
6: dont got to crazy on the volts more volts mean more heat
7:download core temp! (keep eye on temps!)
8: leave rest for you and good luck!

PanicMaster85

Distinguished

ok thank you i'll start watching videos

teremai

Honorable
Jun 9, 2012
I have a question about this aswell if possible.
Don't want to start a new topic because there are many.
I've the same processor and the same mb, i've oc'ed mine to 4,2Mhz but when I boot for the first time I have to reset.
I've put my voltage to ~1,35