Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Asking for some Cooling tips

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
July 10, 2012 12:11:21 AM

Hey guys, I recently got the NH-D14 after you guys recommended it to me. Now I installed it and the temps are a bit higher. I know theres a time to let it "burn" in, but how long could it be?

Second, I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, but the temps increase when i close the side panel. What could I be doing wrong. I have the HAF 912. Thanks

More about : cooling tips

a c 105 K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 12:45:13 AM

If you have higher temps with a D14 than with stock cooling then you did something wrong when you installed it. Too much or not enough thermal paste is a common problem.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 1:36:26 AM

anort3 said:
If you have higher temps with a D14 than with stock cooling then you did something wrong when you installed it. Too much or not enough thermal paste is a common problem.

I did the line method. It was only the size of an uncooked rice grain
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 324 K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 1:43:24 AM

Quote:
Second, I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, but the temps increase when i close the side panel. What could I be doing wrong. I have the HAF 912. Thanks


This tells me you have an issue with airflow within your case. If you close the side of your case and temps GO UP, you need to address internal case airflow.

If you open the side of your case and blow a desk fan into it, what are the load temps? If you close the side of your case and run the same load, what are the load temps? The load temps should be within 1-3C of one another, otherwise, you have bad case airflow.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 2:24:26 AM

rubix_1011 said:
Quote:
Second, I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, but the temps increase when i close the side panel. What could I be doing wrong. I have the HAF 912. Thanks


This tells me you have an issue with airflow within your case. If you close the side of your case and temps GO UP, you need to address internal case airflow.

If you open the side of your case and blow a desk fan into it, what are the load temps? If you close the side of your case and run the same load, what are the load temps? The load temps should be within 1-3C of one another, otherwise, you have bad case airflow.

With a TF2 load with everything on max with the side panel off it get to 44c (111f) with the side panel on it gets to 47c (116f) Im using 1 Generic brand Blue LED intake, 1 LOGISYS Computer CF120DC2 and 1 of the intake that came with the HAF 912. and with the exhausts im using 1 generic and 1 that came with the HAF 912. Theyre all 120mm I just installed the NHD14 several hours ago with the thermal paste that came with it.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 2:30:03 AM

I do a large pea size amount in center, and then install the heatsink letting the TIM spread naturally. Not sure how much TF2 stresses the CPU, but 47 isn't bad at all. Can you run a few minutes of Prime95 and see what your temperatures reach? Also list your Idle and ambient room temperature.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 2:30:06 AM

dfsa90 said:
With a TF2 load with everything on max with the side panel off it get to 44c (111f) with the side panel on it gets to 47c (116f) Im using 1 Generic brand Blue LED intake, 1 LOGISYS Computer CF120DC2 and 1 of the intake that came with the HAF 912. and with the exhausts im using 1 generic and 1 that came with the HAF 912. Theyre all 120mm I just installed the NHD14 several hours ago with the thermal paste that came with it.


what cpu do you have.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 2:31:43 AM

skaz said:
I do a large pea size amount in center, and then install the heatsink letting the TIM spread naturally. Not sure how much TF2 stresses the CPU, but 47 isn't bad at all. Can you run a few minutes of Prime95 and see what your temperatures reach? Also list your Idle and ambient room temperature.

I know 47c isnt bad, but thats what I used to get with the Hyper 212+
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 2:31:56 AM

cbrunnem said:
what cpu do you have.

AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.3Ghz
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 2:36:22 AM

skaz said:
I do a large pea size amount in center, and then install the heatsink letting the TIM spread naturally. Not sure how much TF2 stresses the CPU, but 47 isn't bad at all. Can you run a few minutes of Prime95 and see what your temperatures reach? Also list your Idle and ambient room temperature.

I hit 52c. my ambient is somewhere in the 90's, Not sure. I live in hot climate.
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 3:10:48 AM

dfsa90 said:
AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.3Ghz


dfsa90 said:
I hit 52c. my ambient is somewhere in the 90's, Not sure. I live in hot climate.


That CPU Overclocked to 3.3Ghz hitting 52c in Prime95 seems pretty darn good to me. And if your room temperature is in the 90's (95f=35c), an idle around high 30s to low 40s is extremely good.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 3:52:20 AM

skaz said:
That CPU Overclocked to 3.3Ghz hitting 52c in Prime95 seems pretty darn good to me. And if your room temperature is in the 90's (95f=35c), an idle around high 30s to low 40s is extremely good.

Yeah, but I used to hit those temps with the Hyper 212+. Should I let the Thermal past on the NHD14 settle in for a while? Could I see better temps in the future?
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 6:17:21 AM

Quote:
depends on the paste! most newer thermal paste dont require a "cure" time.

also i always tend to use the razor blade to spread the paste on the cooler, and the dot on the cpu...just incase :) 

Ill reapply the thermal paste tomorrow to see if it helps. The Past is NT-H1
m
0
l
a c 105 K Overclocking
July 10, 2012 7:36:09 PM

What CPU is that? An unlocked Athlon II X3? That might be whats causing your temps to be all over the place. I'm not sure what's best to use as a temp monitor program for an unlocked chip like that. I would think the MB tuning utility is correct since there is no way you have a CPU at 20 C at least not with the computer on! 39 C is much more reasonable.
m
0
l
July 10, 2012 9:12:11 PM

anort3 said:
What CPU is that? An unlocked Athlon II X3? That might be whats causing your temps to be all over the place. I'm not sure what's best to use as a temp monitor program for an unlocked chip like that. I would think the MB tuning utility is correct since there is no way you have a CPU at 20 C at least not with the computer on! 39 C is much more reasonable.

Yeah, its anunlocked Athlon X3. Ill disable the 4th core later and see if I get better results
m
0
l
July 11, 2012 6:58:45 PM

Quote:
yeah and when your in your bios, check the temp there. it will tell you where its sitting at idle temps. you cant then see which temp app, is closes to your actual temps.

Disabling the 4th core makes no difference in the temps
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 1:40:37 AM

Maybe just switch back to the Hyper 212? It seems a little ridiculous to have a CPU cooler that costs more than the CPU!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 2:10:22 AM

How much better is the D14 compared to EVO? A few degrees? If your ambient was not the same as the day you tested the EVO - all results are garbage - testing requires controlled environments.
Bottom line - your temps are great with either cooler - especially with your current room temps.
-Bruce
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 2:56:45 AM

dish_moose said:
How much better is the D14 compared to EVO? A few degrees? If your ambient was not the same as the day you tested the EVO - all results are garbage - testing requires controlled environments.
Bottom line - your temps are great with either cooler - especially with your current room temps.
-Bruce


my rig showed the nh-d14 15*c better.

all temps at 4.5 ghz and same room temps and voltage
212+ 80*c
nh-d14 65-67*c
xspc rasa 55*c
m
0
l
a c 105 K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 5:06:49 AM

^ That is with a 212+ not an Evo but still that is a greater variation than I have ever seen in any reviews.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 5:34:17 AM

remove the d-14, clean the base and processor with lint free cloth (a coffee filter works fine in a pinch) and isoprophyl, do a line or pea (whichever works fine for me) put the d-14 flat on evenly (as parallel as you can to the processor), this is important so the paste would not spread to one side, then tighten the screws in a diagonal pattern if applicable i.e. top left bottom right top right bottom left, etc. making sure that all screws are equally tight.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 5:40:29 AM

vertical777 said:
remove the d-14, clean the base and processor with lint free cloth (a coffee filter works fine in a pinch) and isoprophyl, do a line or pea (whichever works fine for me) put the d-14 flat on evenly (as parallel as you can to the processor), this is important so the paste would not spread to one side, then tighten the screws in a diagonal pattern if applicable i.e. top left bottom right top right bottom left, etc. making sure that all screws are equally tight.

Ive done that. Its my ambient temperature. When I move my PC to the living room when its much cooler it idles at 31c. On a gaming load the max it goes is 43c. My room seems to be the issue
m
0
l

Best solution

a c 105 K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 5:43:34 AM

The ambient temperature in the room can be the only issue. So....obviously, move the computer if you want it to run cooler! :kaola: 
Share
July 12, 2012 5:49:05 AM

Best answer selected by dfsa90.
m
0
l
July 12, 2012 5:49:10 AM

Haha, thanks for the feedback guys!
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 8:40:44 PM

anort3 said:
^ That is with a 212+ not an Evo but still that is a greater variation than I have ever seen in any reviews.


yeah those all are from the same climate controlled room with the same overclock... the evo isnt that much better then the normal 212+ though from what i understand like 2-3 degrees maybe.
m
0
l
!