Asking for some Cooling tips

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
Hey guys, I recently got the NH-D14 after you guys recommended it to me. Now I installed it and the temps are a bit higher. I know theres a time to let it "burn" in, but how long could it be?

Second, I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, but the temps increase when i close the side panel. What could I be doing wrong. I have the HAF 912. Thanks

Solution
D
The ambient temperature in the room can be the only issue. So....obviously, move the computer if you want it to run cooler! :kaola:
D

Deleted member 217926

If you have higher temps with a D14 than with stock cooling then you did something wrong when you installed it. Too much or not enough thermal paste is a common problem.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I did the line method. It was only the size of an uncooked rice grain

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Second, I have 3 intakes and 2 exhausts, but the temps increase when i close the side panel. What could I be doing wrong. I have the HAF 912. Thanks

This tells me you have an issue with airflow within your case. If you close the side of your case and temps GO UP, you need to address internal case airflow.

If you open the side of your case and blow a desk fan into it, what are the load temps? If you close the side of your case and run the same load, what are the load temps? The load temps should be within 1-3C of one another, otherwise, you have bad case airflow.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

With a TF2 load with everything on max with the side panel off it get to 44c (111f) with the side panel on it gets to 47c (116f) Im using 1 Generic brand Blue LED intake, 1 LOGISYS Computer CF120DC2 and 1 of the intake that came with the HAF 912. and with the exhausts im using 1 generic and 1 that came with the HAF 912. Theyre all 120mm I just installed the NHD14 several hours ago with the thermal paste that came with it.

skaz

Distinguished
I do a large pea size amount in center, and then install the heatsink letting the TIM spread naturally. Not sure how much TF2 stresses the CPU, but 47 isn't bad at all. Can you run a few minutes of Prime95 and see what your temperatures reach? Also list your Idle and ambient room temperature.

cbrunnem

Distinguished

what cpu do you have.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I know 47c isnt bad, but thats what I used to get with the Hyper 212+

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

I hit 52c. my ambient is somewhere in the 90's, Not sure. I live in hot climate.

skaz

Distinguished

That CPU Overclocked to 3.3Ghz hitting 52c in Prime95 seems pretty darn good to me. And if your room temperature is in the 90's (95f=35c), an idle around high 30s to low 40s is extremely good.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, but I used to hit those temps with the Hyper 212+. Should I let the Thermal past on the NHD14 settle in for a while? Could I see better temps in the future?

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012
depends on the paste! most newer thermal paste dont require a "cure" time.

also i always tend to use the razor blade to spread the paste on the cooler, and the dot on the cpu...just incase :)
Ill reapply the thermal paste tomorrow to see if it helps. The Past is NT-H1

D

Deleted member 217926

What CPU is that? An unlocked Athlon II X3? That might be whats causing your temps to be all over the place. I'm not sure what's best to use as a temp monitor program for an unlocked chip like that. I would think the MB tuning utility is correct since there is no way you have a CPU at 20 C at least not with the computer on! 39 C is much more reasonable.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Yeah, its anunlocked Athlon X3. Ill disable the 4th core later and see if I get better results

How much better is the D14 compared to EVO? A few degrees? If your ambient was not the same as the day you tested the EVO - all results are garbage - testing requires controlled environments.
Bottom line - your temps are great with either cooler - especially with your current room temps.
-Bruce

cbrunnem

Distinguished

my rig showed the nh-d14 15*c better.

all temps at 4.5 ghz and same room temps and voltage
212+ 80*c
nh-d14 65-67*c
xspc rasa 55*c

D

Deleted member 217926

^ That is with a 212+ not an Evo but still that is a greater variation than I have ever seen in any reviews.

vertical777

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
remove the d-14, clean the base and processor with lint free cloth (a coffee filter works fine in a pinch) and isoprophyl, do a line or pea (whichever works fine for me) put the d-14 flat on evenly (as parallel as you can to the processor), this is important so the paste would not spread to one side, then tighten the screws in a diagonal pattern if applicable i.e. top left bottom right top right bottom left, etc. making sure that all screws are equally tight.

dfsa90

Honorable
Jun 15, 2012

Ive done that. Its my ambient temperature. When I move my PC to the living room when its much cooler it idles at 31c. On a gaming load the max it goes is 43c. My room seems to be the issue

D

Deleted member 217926

The ambient temperature in the room can be the only issue. So....obviously, move the computer if you want it to run cooler! :kaola:

Solution