Maxtor diamond 23 control board

langmore1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hello, any one got any ideas how/where I can try to get hold of a control/circuit board for a maxtor diamond 23 hard drive.

Ta
Mark

I can't answer your question, but are you aware that you can't just swap boards on modern Maxtor drives? This is because each board has unique, drive specific information that must be transferred to the replacement PCB.

BTW, it's Maxtor DiamondMax 23, not "diamond 23".

What's wrong with your drive?

langmore1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi .. thanks for that, it isn't earth shatteringly important because I bought a complete new hard drive for £26 ($40) but I can't retrieve the data from the old hard drive. I can't access the drive and thus data at all and a computer guy told me that the likely cause was a fault with the board and I might try getting a new board and replacing it but from what u say that is not an option.

Regards

Mark

You need to transfer an 8-pin serial flash memory chip from patient to donor. This chip stores unique, drive specific "adaptive" information.

You didn't say exactly what is wrong with your drive, but if it spins up and identifies itself with the correct model number and capacity, then the board is most probably OK.

langmore1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2011
Hi ... when the pc boots up it doesn't acknowledge the drive .... it doesn't see it. PC guy used various methods to try to get access to the HD but it just wouldn't show up at all so couldn't access it. It does power up in that you can hear the disk spin etc when powered but nothing appears through 'my computer' etc when hooked into another working pc ......... also doesn't appear at the 'boot up' stage etc.

Cheers

The fact that the drive spins up suggests that the board is most probably OK. Instead the problem is most likely an internal one.

The drive has a serial terminal interface that reports error conditions. I don't pretend to understand the error messages, but someone else may. The procedure for accessing this diagnostic report is documented in the well known BSY fix for 7200.11 models.