Dell XPS410 propcessor upgrade

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Have a Core 2 Duo at 1.86Ghz

Qustions:
Can I upgrade the processor speed? If so what exactly am I asking for when i go to buy the upgrade?

I have W7 64bit installed. If i add the proc upgrade chip will i have to reinstall the OS?

I worked at dell manufacturing, but I'm just taking an educated guess. Dell is one of the few venders that won't list it's motherboard chipset; same for some acers. Try using cpuid, a free download, for the board chipset. I'll bet it's an Intel 965 btx board; it's unlikely you can upgrade it to a wolfdale .45nm core2 duo And you won't have to reinstall the operating system unless you change out the motherboard. If everything is working well, I would leave it alone, unless you want to upgrade to 4 gb of ram. You may also be able to run a faster video card with the dell power supply, which would help some. The 4670 chipset cards sometimes work fine with 300w power supplies. You'll just have to try it.

You can go either a Q6600 or a E6700 those are the max it will support it will not work with any CPUs that have a 1333mhz FSB. And no you will not have to reinstall win 7 with a cpu upgrade only if you change the motherboard you have to reinstall windows. No wolfdales or yorkfield supported.

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Thank you. I have 8GB of RAM now and recently upgraded ther mother bd. PS to 430w. I ffel you are right about ther 965 BTX. I was told a Dell technician that a 3Ghz processor upgrade was available. he said he would call back but never did

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

As long as it is listed as Core 2 Duo E6700 or Q6600 are they all the same

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

I really appreciate your responses, however, before i buy one of these what are your reasons for being sure about these two upgrade procs?

Well went on Dells website and they actually have the option to buy these as upgrades threw them for the xps410 then i did a little more research on a few dell forums where people have upgraded to these processors also i know for a fact that chipset does not support a 45nm processor i am 100% certain that the processors i listed will work.

As far as what i read is that as long as its not so much the 45nm its the 1333mhz FSB that wont work. There are wolfdales that went to 45nm and the higher FSB those will not work. So the E6500 with its 1066mhz FSB u will have no problem. I am 100% sure on this

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

Sorry to be so skitish but the system I have is a core 2 duo, is that the same as dual core. the newegg processors you list both say dual core

rschonhoff

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010

is this an issue
Sorry to be so skitish but the system I have is a core 2 duo, is that the same as dual core. the newegg processors you list both say dual core