SSD tutorial please

Hello,

I just purchased a Crucial M4 128gb SSD. I have been looking around the internet for tutorials on setting it up.

Installation won't be an issue as it is very straight forward.

What I need to know:

-What do I do about my current hard drive and the installation of windows that is already on it. (I have backed up all of my information that I need on the hard drive)
-What steps do I take after installing the SSD

If you could break things down for me (sort of computer iliterate) that would be really helpful.

I plan to use the SSD for windows and Battlefield 3.

What I have:

-Windows 7 64-bit
-1tb HDD
-Crucial M4 128gb SSD
-MOBO with SATA III

Thanks for the help everyone! I just want to make sure I do things right the first time and get the best performance possible.
8 answers Last reply
More about tutorial please
  1. Anyone?
  2. A clean install of Microsoft Windows 7 is the preferred method. Is that what you are planning to do or are you going to use cloning software?
  3. A clean install, but my question is what happens the windows that already installed on the hard drive?

I can't figure out how to go about erasing the hard drive before I install windows onto the SSD.
  4. cam024 said:
    A clean install, but my question is what happens the windows that already installed on the hard drive?

I can't figure out how to go about erasing the hard drive before I install windows onto the SSD.

U don't need to erase before Win7 install on the new SSD drive. U can wipe that HDD later.
  5. nikorr is right.

Disconnect your hard drive from the motherboard.
    Connect your ssd to the motherboard
    Start your pc and immediately go into the system BIOS.
    Enable ACHI mode and make sure your ssd is designated as your boot drive.
    Save the BIOS configuration and continue startup.
    Install Windows 7
    Install drivers
    Install web browser.
    Install your game or anything else you might want on your ssd.
    Make sure everything is working and that you are satisified.
    Shut down
    Reconnect your hard disk to the motherboard.
    Restart your pc. It will boot from the ssd.
    Do what you want with your hard drive.
    Enjoy your new ssd! :)
  6. ....to add to JohnnyLucky's steps.....though you may already know these things:

Disable ssd drive indexing and defraging.
    Make sure TRIM is on with a cmd test
    Also disable System Restore
    I forgot the rest....there should be a complete setup check list somewhere for SSDs.
    I once used the "Optimization Guides" from here:
    http://thessdreview.com/category/ssd-guides/optimization-guides/

Oh and u should take ur current Hard drive and get an identical one (same exact model number), erase/format both & then raid mirror them for storage (music, photos, documents etc) and only run your OS/Programs from ur SSD. Seperation of OS and personal files is nice + cleaner.
  7. Thanks guys! That was exactly what I was looking for, wish me luck!
  8. Good luck : )
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Hard Drives Storage