Sign in with
Your question

I5-430m and nvidia 310m laptop, arctic silver worth the trouble?

Last response: in Overclocking
July 10, 2012 3:23:32 AM

I own a Samsung R580 laptop, with and I5-430m and a Nvidia 310m gpu. I experimented with overclocking the 310m, because I do use the laptop for some gaming, but it didnt make a noticeable difference. (back to stock clocks, for the interest of temperature)
The laptop is pretty thin, and the CPU and GPU get pretty hot (upwards of 90c in extreme cases). This isn't helped by the passive fan, which only kicks in noticeably at around 80c, with no such option to change it in BIOS or Nvidia control panel, or anywhere else.

I recently upgraded the cpu in a different laptop, and I still have some arctic silver laying around. I'm wondering if it is worth the trouble to break down the laptop to apply the arctic sliver (not that much trouble, but will it make any difference?)

The cpu and gpu cool down pretty quickly when I remove the load, and while typing this my temps are:
Intel Core i5- 52c
Nvidia 310m- 62c

Thanks in advance.
Anonymous
July 10, 2012 4:43:36 AM

Maybe it will help (1° - 5°C) maybe the temps will stay the same. Arctic Silver is not "magical".
Also overclocking extremely low-end GPUs is pointless.
July 10, 2012 4:54:19 PM

Anonymous said:
Maybe it will help (1° - 5°C) maybe the temps will stay the same. Arctic Silver is not "magical".
Also overclocking extremely low-end GPUs is pointless.

Well, I applied it this morning, and I'm waiting for the magic. :D 

UPDATE: Applied it a few hours ago, I will say the OEM Samsung thermal paste was very messy.
Ran a few benchmark tests, the CPU and GPU alike are only reaching 60c where before they were reaching 80c.
I did not think I would see any significant difference before the break-in period, but this is "magical" in my opinion.
!