Computer crashes and my graphics card spazzes out

Gatorgirl222

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
Hey All,

So, here's the problem. Well, here are my specs as of right now.

core i7 920
Asus P6t Deluxe v2
Xfx Radeon HD 5870
Ultra x3 850 w PSU
Corsair ddr3 4 gb 2gb x2 sticks

First of all, I am pretty sure my power supply makes funny noises like a cricket sound and its really annoying. I bought this psu for 100 bucks at compusa.com on pink friday or whatever.

Anyway, besides the noise factor my new computer has one more issue and that when I go to play a game like Dirt2 it loads fine but the psu sounds like it is struggling(the cricket noise is more constant) then my computer crashes and my graphics card fan spazzes out and goes so fast.
It plays simple games just fine like warcraft 3, but a game like dirt 2 it crashes.

I am a noob, can someone please help me figure out this problem.

Gatorgirl222

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
I have also read online about people having issues with ultra psu's and I am wondering if I got a bad one. Like I said, its a Ultra x3 850 w psu. Its almost like my graphics card doesn't have enough power and shuts down. I have all the recent ati drivers for the 5870. I should be good to go.

You want a 3 x 2GB set of RAM for that setup.....2 x 2GB is for 1156 chipset

Yes, the PSU should be upgraded. Best but in the 850 category is the Antec CP-850....only topped by the SG-850 but it only fits in 3 cases (Antec 1200, P183, P193). Grab the SG-850 if ya want the best for quiet and electrical performance. If noise not an issue, then Corsair HX-850.

However, you don't need a 850 watter for that setup.....I'd reserve those PSU's only for twin vid cards and serious overclocking. A 650 should do you just fine.....if only doing moderate OC's the Corsair TX or Ante TP/TPX series is a fine choice.

Gatorgirl222

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2009
yeah, I am thinking its the Power supply. This happens with most of my games, dirt 2, sims 3 even, but older games like warcraft 3 its fine. It like cuts off the power almost as if I hit the reset button. My cpu temps are great with my cooler master case and I have a zalman cpu cooler even though I have not oc'd anything. we just built this xmas day. But I am really thinking its the psu.

G

my graphic card stoped working and then my computer was making a weird sound and it turned off and now im writing with my laptop :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :( :( :(

TRENDING THREADS