Sign in with
Your question

Need advice for software to test external hard drive

Last response: in Storage
December 9, 2011 11:00:15 PM

I just bought 2 Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk external hard drives.

While researching on NewEgg and forums, I read posters who talked about software that could check for bad sectors and other problems of hard drives. I not talking about speed tests, since whenever I searched the Tom's Guide hard drive forum, this was the overwhelming results.

I want to test these hard drives so if they fail I can return to Staples or RMA. Several years ago, I used the Western Digital software with my WD 120GB HD, and it gave no warning before total sudden failure. There was no chance to save my data by backing up to another HD.

Any suggestion for software, and free would be great, and links to online guides to use said software would be greatly appreciated.

moviefan
Related resources
December 9, 2011 11:35:05 PM

Thanks, jsmakker. I just realized that I neglected to include important info. I'm running on a Toshiba Satellite A665-S6090 64-bit Windows 7 laptop with 4GB RAM, although I'm going to upgrade by Christmas to 8GB RAM. I'll check these two out tonight and get back to you tomorrow.

Again, thanks for all your help.

Have a happy holiday

moviefan
m
l
a b G Storage
December 9, 2011 11:36:47 PM

Thanks moviefan!
Happy Holidays!!
Good luck!!!
m
l
December 9, 2011 11:41:24 PM

Thanks fzabkar,

The S.M.A.R.T. was posted a great deal, just wasn't sure if I remembered correctly and those posts seem to have been pushed down a lot. Also, HDDScan was mentioned often it seemed.

I've got a lot of reading to do tonight and tomorrow morning, but it's all good.

Again, thanks for your help and have a happy holiday,

moviefan
m
l
!