Sign in with
Your question
Solved

I installed ssd and now other hdd wont detect

Last response: in Storage
December 10, 2011 1:26:23 AM

Christmas came early for me when my OCZ Vertex III 120gig SSD showed up.

I have an ASUS P5QL-Pro MOBO which uses the Intel® P43 / ICH10 Chipset
SSD installed to SATA 1 slot on MOBO.

I'll tell you what I have tried and maybe someone can help me figure this out...

I followed instructions and removed and replaced the CMOS battery to clear my overclock and unplugged all SATA cables except the SSD.
I was told the TRIM support only works in AHCI mode so before I installed my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit) I hit F6 and installed the AHCI drivers from my USB.

I set bios to AHCI
Windows Boots FAST! I instaled MOBO drivers and Video card drivers and ran Windows Experience Index. SSD scored 7.8!

I Shut Down and installed my Hitachi 1TB HDD to SATA 3 slot and turned it on and it hangs while trying to detect SATA 3... I let it try all night.
PLEASE HELP

Best solution

December 10, 2011 8:12:29 PM

Erni3 said:
Christmas came early for me when my OCZ Vertex III 120gig SSD showed up.

I have an ASUS P5QL-Pro MOBO which uses the Intel® P43 / ICH10 Chipset
SSD installed to SATA 1 slot on MOBO.

I'll tell you what I have tried and maybe someone can help me figure this out...

I followed instructions and removed and replaced the CMOS battery to clear my overclock and unplugged all SATA cables except the SSD.
I was told the TRIM support only works in AHCI mode so before I installed my OS (Windows 7 Ultimate 32bit) I hit F6 and installed the AHCI drivers from my USB.

I set bios to AHCI
Windows Boots FAST! I instaled MOBO drivers and Video card drivers and ran Windows Experience Index. SSD scored 7.8!

I Shut Down and installed my Hitachi 1TB HDD to SATA 3 slot and turned it on and it hangs while trying to detect SATA 3... I let it try all night.
PLEASE HELP

I am in the same boat as you, if you can get an answer, please let me know. I did pretty much exactly as you. If someone gets you an answer, please let me know. Can you check your boot priority in your BIOS and see if if shows your drives in SCSI alignment? I can't figure out how to get out of that, if one can.
December 10, 2011 9:47:18 PM

jrbraswell109 said:
I am in the same boat as you, if you can get an answer, please let me know. I did pretty much exactly as you. If someone gets you an answer, please let me know. Can you check your boot priority in your BIOS and see if if shows your drives in SCSI alignment? I can't figure out how to get out of that, if one can.

Ok I just got it to work. I realized that when I installed Windows to the SSD I did not have my BIOS set to AHCI, it was in IDE mode! Lucky for me I kept my previous windows instalation in tact on another HDD. Here is how I fixed it:

1.Pull the Power plug, remove CMOS battery,Push power button to drain capacitors... Plugged in old HDD into SATA1 slot with windows and set bios back to IDE mode.Plugged SSD into SATA3 slot. Made sure HDD was set to 1st Boot device in BIOS. Booted into windows.

2. Downloaded OCZToolbox_v2.40.07 (you are running OCZ right?) and ran Sanitary Erase (Windows likes to install to unallocated space) Got a error message at first saying the SSD was frozen or something. Don't worry just put windows to "Sleep" and when you come back run Sanitare Erase again.

3. Shut down and Connected ONLY SSD to SATA 1 slot (no other drives plugged in) Went to Bios and set it to AHCI and confirmed SDD is 1st boot device.

4. Installed Windows and pressed F6 to install AHCI drivers (my board needed this yours may not.)

5. Booted to windows and installed Video Card Drivers and chipset drivers for my board from Guru3d website.

6. Restarted and ran Win Experience Index. Then I shut down and installed other HDD to SATA 3. It detected it! Now here is another thing to consider, Im using a HDD that has no windows instalation on it as my second drive. Not sure if it would cause any problem to have windows on the second drive or not...

7. Booted into windows and Disabled Defrag Schedule.

Im running in AHCI and it's way snappier than IDE! Hope this helps someone!

December 18, 2011 3:02:27 AM

Best answer selected by Erni3.
!