Sign in with
Your question

Removed HDD and BIOS runs BUT.....

Last response: in Components
March 4, 2010 9:49:50 PM

Hello,
Bios wouldnt work. So I read on the site to unplugg the HDD, I ran the setup and all appears to be good. Tried to re-plug the Sata in a different slot, but I'm back to a frozen splash screen. Does this mean the HDD is toast? If so, how do I recover the drive? the drive is a year old.

More about : removed hdd bios runs

March 4, 2010 10:00:35 PM

Edenjo said:
Hello,
Bios wouldnt work. So I read on the site to unplugg the HDD, I ran the setup and all appears to be good. Tried to re-plug the Sata in a different slot, but I'm back to a frozen splash screen. Does this mean the HDD is toast? If so, how do I recover the drive? the drive is a year old.

If the bios is locking up, it might not be the hard drive itself. Have you tried clearing the cmos via the onboard jumper, or popping the battery for a couple minutes? See if this has any effect. Also, does the hard drive seem to be running, or is it making any weird noises?

If the drive was dead I think it would at least say that no bootable partition was found.
m
l
March 4, 2010 10:34:12 PM

jrharbort said:
If the bios is locking up, it might not be the hard drive itself. Have you tried clearing the cmos via the onboard jumper, or popping the battery for a couple minutes? See if this has any effect. Also, does the hard drive seem to be running, or is it making any weird noises?

If the drive was dead I think it would at least say that no bootable partition was found.

Thank you for your fast responce.
I have popped the battery and nothing. The jumper you talk about, is it the 8 pin on my board ( only jumper I see ) and is that done with the power off? Also do I just pull the jumper and replace to the same setting? HDD is not making noise but I dont see the activity light blinkink.
m
l
March 4, 2010 11:49:16 PM

It sounds to me like the hard drive might not be recieving any power. Try using another SATA power connector if one is available.
m
l
Related resources
!