CPU Voltage and Motherboard

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
Hi!

I have a AMD Phenom 955 BE. I overclocked it to 4GHz with a voltage of 1.45V.

My question is how much voltage of 1.45V is harmful to my motherboard for 24/7 - ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 ?

Other HW:

Gigabyte HD6950OC Windforce
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz
Cooler Master V8

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I use the Cooler Master V8. Max load temperature of the CPU is 51°C. .. How much voltage of 1.45V is harmful to this motherboard? Temperatures are ok?
Is the Chipset temperature same as "Mainboard" temp in HWMonitor: http://i49.tinypic.com/wapvki.jpg

What is the maximum temperature at which the CPU can run for longer time? (Sorry for my english)

That CPU is rated for 1.5V max.

A very common misconception is that temperature is the only thing to really worry about - that with good enough cooling, you can crank the voltage up and be ok.

That is false.

1.45V probably won't be an issue, but it might. After a while - a year, two years, maybe three, that high voltage will cause wear on the internal circuits and eventually the OC will be unstable, requiring more voltage - which of course will only further the issue.

So the real question is how long do you want to run this CPU? I'd say for sure up to 4 years with maybe a little tweaking down the road. Also, it can always be downclocked to regain stability and longevity.

I know that with Intel CPUs (at least when I was reading the documentation on my i5 750), they state for it that up to 1.45V is ok in the sense that up to that amount, you should be able to return it all to stock settings and have it still work - they do not say that it is an ok voltage to run all the time for longevity.

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
I'm not worried about the CPU voltage and that, because the CPU will not be with me long time, i will sell it, and buy new one for maybe 1year or more (depends on what games are).
But what about the motherboard and a voltage of 1.45V .. Is it harmful for that type of motherboard, because maybe when i buy new cpu, i will use this mbo

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012
OK, thanks to everyone! Can anyone help me one more thing, to change my Voltage from Manual to Offset, because i cant enable coolnquite when Voltage contol is on Manual...

How to change it to offset, but to keep everything the same as the Manual (for example: Load Voltage ...) What I must set to "+" or "-" to get same as Manual Voltage control.
http://i48.tinypic.com/zojnmq.jpg

I hope you understand what I want to say.. :(

Almin94

Honorable
Jul 10, 2012

I can enable cnq when i set voltage to offset, but not work...