Sign in with
Your question

Trouble finding what component is causing my issue.

Last response: in Components
March 5, 2010 12:42:20 AM

On First boot-up, while playing a graphic intense game, my computer completely freezes up. I am not able to Ctrl+Alt+Del out of the program at all. Therefore, I am forced to hard reset. This happens day after day on first boot-up of my desktop and its not related to any single game! Every graphic intense game that I have played on this computer hangs within 30 mins of startup.

However, when I launch the same graphic intense game after this hard reset the game runs fine for hrs on end! Hell, if I play an older game that isnt as "pretty" as the 3d games today, I dont get these system hangs either!!! So, I have ruled out overheating.

I don't have system hangups during normal use; browsing the web, watching flash video. Also, files arent missing so I ruled out the HDD

I've switched both the PSU and GPU and the problem STILL OCCURS! In fact, I just blew another $80 to get a new PSU to test...

I've run the CPU and Memory tests that came with my HP computer and the tests all pass.

So this has to be one of the most frustrating problems I've come across because I simply cannot narrow down what component is causing this issue.

Maybe the tester software that the computer came with was crap...anyone have any suggestions for CPU and Memory tests?

System Specs: Its an HP Chassis just upgraded PSU and GPU

-Windows Vista Home Premium 64-bit

-AMD Phenom X4 2.30 GHz

-7GB ram(I know its an odd number but thats what the system had installed)

-640GB HDD

-Asus Nvidia9800 GT 1GB

-Corsair 650 watt psu with 52amps on +12v rail

ANY help is welcome because I've done all I can without simply giving up and buying/building another computer.

Thanks,
Vip
March 5, 2010 7:22:13 PM

I would look at a possible memory problem. To test it efficiently you shoudl download "MEMTEST" and see if it throws up any errors. To Test the rest of you systems 3d Mark 06 is a good indication of perofrmance and can also cause your PC to be put under load while still being able to see any graphics problems.
March 5, 2010 7:23:17 PM

Sorry as an after thought - download CPUz and find out what make / model mobo is in your PC - if its a reputable brand (Asus / Abit / Gigabyte etc) you can try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.
March 6, 2010 8:01:14 PM

ulysses35 said:
Sorry as an after thought - download CPUz and find out what make / model mobo is in your PC - if its a reputable brand (Asus / Abit / Gigabyte etc) you can try downloading the latest drivers from the manufacturers website.

Thanks for the advice Ulysses. After my post I realized that I could simply take 2 memory dimms out of their slots. I have a total of 4 Slots on the motherboard so I will try various combinations while using only 2 slots and 2 dimms. Hopefully I can eliminate the problematic dimm (if it is only one causing the problem.)

I will definitely download CPUz to find the make and model of my motherboard. That should come in handy.

Another question for you, How do I know if its the memory dimm thats gone bad and not the slot on the motherboard? Can I just test the dimm in question in a slot I know is good? Or should I just use the memtest software you recommended?

Thanks again and I appreciate your help!

-Vip
!