Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

I need some advice before buying

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 5:47:47 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hello,

I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
Packard Bell Easynote K5245
Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz

Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?

I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard Bell
in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for the
same performances.....

Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm French.

Arnaud

More about : advice buying

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 15, 2004 6:34:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

On Thu, 15 Jul 2004 13:47:47 +0200, "Arnaud"
<arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote:

>I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
>Packard Bell Easynote K5245
>Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
>Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?

Both are heavy (3.5 kg) machines with 15" XGA displays. Personally, I
don't see the point in running XGA on a 15" display: if you want to
use XGA, get a smaller display (the 12.1" display on my IBM ThinkPad
X31 is more than enough for XGA); if you want to use a 15" display,
get SXGA+ resolution (1400x1050).

Their processors (Celeron 2.4 GHz for the Packard Bell, Pentium 4 2.8
GHz) aren't the best choice for laptops IMO: they are power-hungry,
which translates in lots of heat, need for the fan to run often (=
noisy) and shorter battery life. You would be better off with a
Pentium M, or an equivalent AMD processor.

>I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
>ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard Bell
>in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for the
>same performances.....

If you want to get a similar machine as the above, have a look at the
IBM ThinkPad R51 (nicer and shouldn't cost that much more). If you can
afford to spend a bit more, consider the ThinkPad T4x.

HTH, Dominique
July 16, 2004 1:13:58 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

I wouldn't buy anything made by Packard-Bell. They have been ripping off the
public for years with their low quality junk. My favorite brands are Dell,
Gateway, and HP.

"Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
>
> Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
>
> I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
> ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard
Bell
> in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for
the
> same performances.....
>
> Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm French.
>
> Arnaud
>
>
Related resources
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 3:03:23 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?



"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de news:
qsCJc.3896$mL5.2933@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> I wouldn't buy anything made by Packard-Bell. They have been ripping off
the
> public for years with their low quality junk. My favorite brands are Dell,
> Gateway, and HP.
>
> "Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
> news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> > Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> > Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
> >
> > Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
> >
> > I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
> > ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard
> Bell
> > in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for
> the
> > same performances.....
> >
> > Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm
French.
> >
> > Arnaud
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 3:51:36 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Am Samstag, 17. Juli 2004 11:03 schrieb Arnaud:

> Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
> are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?

Not at all.

* Hewlett Packard (HP) was founded by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard
in 1938: "in the garage with $538 in working capital".
learn more: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/timeline/

* Packard-Bell however "is the consumer brand of NEC Computers
International, a subsidiary of NEC Corporation."
learn more: http://www.packardbell.com/company.htm

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
July 17, 2004 6:52:58 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

No. They are entirely different companies and are not associated with each
other in any way. At present, Packard Bell is a subsidiary of NEC
Corporation. Hewlett Packard, also known as HP, was founded by
Stanford University classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard in 1939.

"Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
news:40f8ea67$0$31355$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
> are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?
>
>
>
> "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de news:
> qsCJc.3896$mL5.2933@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > I wouldn't buy anything made by Packard-Bell. They have been ripping off
> the
> > public for years with their low quality junk. My favorite brands are
Dell,
> > Gateway, and HP.
> >
> > "Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
> > news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> > > Hello,
> > >
> > > I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> > > Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> > > Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
> > >
> > > Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
> > >
> > > I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you
have
> > > ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard
> > Bell
> > > in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me
for
> > the
> > > same performances.....
> > >
> > > Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm
> French.
> > >
> > > Arnaud
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 17, 2004 10:57:05 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

OK. Thank you.
Actually I thought It was the same, because of the promomity of the names (I
thought it was a kind of association)


"Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de news:
e3bKc.6175$Qu5.5282@newsread2.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> No. They are entirely different companies and are not associated with each
> other in any way. At present, Packard Bell is a subsidiary of NEC
> Corporation. Hewlett Packard, also known as HP, was founded by
> Stanford University classmates Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard in 1939.
>
> "Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
> news:40f8ea67$0$31355$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> > Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
> > are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?
> >
> >
> >
> > "Papa" <bikingis@my.fun> a écrit dans le message de news:
> > qsCJc.3896$mL5.2933@newsread1.news.pas.earthlink.net...
> > > I wouldn't buy anything made by Packard-Bell. They have been ripping
off
> > the
> > > public for years with their low quality junk. My favorite brands are
> Dell,
> > > Gateway, and HP.
> > >
> > > "Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
> > > news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> > > > Hello,
> > > >
> > > > I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> > > > Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> > > > Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
> > > >
> > > > Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
> > > >
> > > > I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you
> have
> > > > ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and
Packard
> > > Bell
> > > > in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me
> for
> > > the
> > > > same performances.....
> > > >
> > > > Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm
> > French.
> > > >
> > > > Arnaud
> > > >
> > > >
> > >
> > >
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 5:01:18 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Buy a Dell or forget it! That's my advise.

"Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> Hello,
>
> I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
>
> Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
>
> I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
> ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard
Bell
> in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for
the
> same performances.....
>
> Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm French.
>
> Arnaud
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 19, 2004 1:32:30 PM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

thank you

Arnaud

"rlking" <rlking@sprintmail.com> a écrit dans le message de news:
y3FKc.3475$f4.446@newsread3.news.atl.earthlink.net...
> Buy a Dell or forget it! That's my advise.
>
> "Arnaud" <arnaud.champollionLeSpAmCaPuE@free.fr> wrote in message
> news:40f66e36$0$4209$626a14ce@news.free.fr...
> > Hello,
> >
> > I'd like to buy a laptop, and I'm interested by these two models :
> > Packard Bell Easynote K5245
> > Aspire 1604LM - Pentium 4 HT 2.8Ghz
> >
> > Do you know them ? Does anybody actually has one of them ?
> >
> > I would like someone to tell me if these machines are OK, or if you have
> > ever had similar kind of laptops, what you think of Aspire and Packard
> Bell
> > in general, etc...or if you have something similar to propose to me for
> the
> > same performances.....
> >
> > Thank you a lot for your answers....and sorry for my English, I'm
French.
> >
> > Arnaud
> >
> >
>
>
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
July 22, 2004 1:08:14 AM

Archived from groups: comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

In article <1503224.NzW1nvsiJO@linhelp10.org>, Karl-Heinz Zimmer wrote:
>Am Samstag, 17. Juli 2004 11:03 schrieb Arnaud:
>
>> Please excuse my ignorance, but I have one question :
>> are Halwette Packard and Packard-Bell the same societies ?
>
>Not at all.
>
>* Hewlett Packard (HP) was founded by Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard
> in 1938: "in the garage with $538 in working capital".
> learn more: http://www.hp.com/hpinfo/abouthp/histnfacts/timeline/
>
>* Packard-Bell however "is the consumer brand of NEC Computers
> International, a subsidiary of NEC Corporation."
> learn more: http://www.packardbell.com/company.htm

Packard-Bell used to be a more respectable name once upon a time...

The oldest computer for which I ever saw its manual
was a Packard-Bell 250, built sometime in the 1960's, with 22-bit words,
a hardware integer square root instruction, and *acoustic delay line* memory.
That meant the memory wasn't really random-access; bits circulated around
the delay line, so it was best to refer to memory locations that were just
about to pop out of the delay line. There were a bunch of delay lines,
one of them much shorter than the rest, for fast-access storage.
I don't remember the capacity, but it probably had a few kilobytes
of memory in all.

Those were the days...

:~)

Stuart Levy
!