Where should I put 75$ more?

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003

I am working on building a gaming system. I will be gaming at 1920x1200(probably 1920x1080) with a single 5770. in about a year I will be adding a second one.

I have been buying laptops for the past four years or so. I am just now getting back into building my own desktop. I want to overclock it but not more than I can do with stock cooling. I will spend more money on a better heatsink later.

Right now this system is 450$ I can put an additional 75$ into it right now. I am not afraid to play with overclocking. I don't know if I should invest in a better quality motherboard or maybe pour it all into a better processor with this MB? If this mobo is really that bad I want to replace it so to have a good base and I can buy a better processor down the line. But if people have had any success with this would I think all processor would be the way to go. I think I wan to stick with amd and the 790gx board for the backup graphics card.

Also if the choice of any of my other components in the same price range are bad please advise me to a better option available on Newegg.

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
I didn't even notice the hd was ide thanks. I really want to stick wth the GX board though. I was gonna wait a month or so for my graphics card. and see what happens to the price of the new 5xxx series. Plus it's nice to have a backup if I fry the board from overclocking.

uther100

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2003
Ok so it looks like the biostar board only has one pci express lane.

I upped it to the http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130224 MSI board here.

I also upgraded the processor to an athlon II x3 435. This put me right at 524$ which is the limit of my budget.

What do you guys think of these parts?

Also can anyone link me to a good primer on overclocking the Athlon II processors? I'm hoping to take the 435 to 3.1 ghz for long term use with the stock cooler.