Sign in with
Your question

980X overclocking advice wanted

Last response: in Overclocking
July 11, 2012 2:12:18 AM

I recently bought new parts (ram, H100 cooler and gtx 670) and are trying to push my hardware closer to its limits and would like some advice :) 

My hardware is a Asus P6X58-D Premium mb, 3x4Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600Mhz ram and a 980X cpu.

The computer has been stable for 2 years at 4ghz with stock cooler, all I did to achieve that was to increase multiplier to 30 and enable LLC and leave all other settings untouched/automatic (voltage got set to 1.34v).

With the new cooler installed I tried setting the voltage manually, it seems the cpu is stable @ 4ghz at a very low voltage of just 1,24v. Makes me believe I can reach high clocks with this.

Here are the questions:
1. I have all the power saving features enabled but my voltage remains fixed regardless of load or idle, should the voltage not hover between say 0.9 and 1.25v depending on load?

2. Should I change the direction of any fans? (see image)
The radiator is positioned at the top, there are 2 intake fans in push configuration on the radiator and 3 other intake fans (front, bottom, case) and 1 exhaust fan at the back.

3. Whats the fastest way to test an OC for reliability?

July 16, 2012 2:28:43 AM

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643...

A terrific thread with your MB and your CPU.

I really like prime85 for OC testing. I use 5 minute runs to test temp, and then go longer to watch both temps and stability.

Grab a snack, and do some reading in that thread, and it'll cover nearly everything you need.
July 16, 2012 4:06:04 AM

Thanks, am reading that thread now :) 

Im currently running with 133bclk x 31 = 4140 Mhz
LLC disabled
TurboMode disabled
C1E, SpeedStep and C-State enabled
Corsair H100 on medium setting, max temps running intelburn for a while is 71, 70, 67, 69, 70 and 74 degrees. I dont trust that last sensor one bit, it always shows higher than the others..

I am clocking with offset (dynamic +voltage), I dont remember the exact value but the upper limit is 1.336v (CPU-Z) and it vdroops to 1.288v under load.
This seems to be 100% stable, I know the chip can go further..

The next step in clocking would be 4276 Mhz, this requires 1,344 volts under load, so I have to set it to nearly 1,4v in bios (it drops from 1.39v to 1.34v under load).

According to Intel voltage should not exceed 1.375 - however Im unsure if they mean actual load voltage or just spikes.. If they mean actual load voltage then I should be fine to set 1.42 or so volts in the bios..

I dont want to use LLC either as it seems to trick you into thinking you are giving the CPU less juice than you really are. The bios voltage setting becomes the minimum voltage supplied instead of the max limit.
Meaning for me 1,39v without LLC will be the same as 1,34v with LLC.

Have not found any thorough analysis on LLC yet, I think high end motherboards with good capacitors can reduce the damaging voltage spikes. They have better capacitors and more phases and should reduce the harmful voltage spikes. Would be nice to know for sure.

I play World of Tanks sometimes and that game still only uses 1 core and that becomes a bottleneck. Would be nice to try it with 4,5ghz or something, if only it was easier to overclock with turbo modes.
September 17, 2013 8:34:46 AM

Quick update:

My 24/7 stable OC is 4,3Ghz at 1,36v. LLC, HyperThreading, SpeedStep and Turboboost disabled
133bclk*32=4276Mhz
!