Empire Total War

G

Hi Guys
we have a new game for Xmas Empire Total war, but our ancient graphic card nvidia FX5200 (i believe) won't fly it, could you recommend a replacement.
pc specs 3 ghz chip 2 gb ram
thanks for the help

G

Hi
info uk
sony vaio pcv-rz422p
pent 4 3.00 ghz
windows xp service pack 3
fx5200

thanks hope this helps, been a while since I've had to sort a pc issue out

Well, you'll definitely need a new video card. The good news is your processor is just above the minimum requirements. The bad new is "just above the minimum requirements" means that while the game will play it won't play very well.
If you do want to go ahead with it your PSU is 300w. For an old 300w PSU the most I would recommend is probably an HD4650 which should be ok for low resolutions. The AGP version is overpriced though. There are 2 versions DDR2 or DDR3 with the second being better but often more expensive. This would be a good deal but it's out of stock;
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-113-PC
Here's one that's in stock but DDR2
http://www.ebuyer.com/product/179446

G

ok
old pc
so if I put a new psu in can I go for a better card?
or am i flogging a dead horse as the processor is going to struggle.

New pc what spec should I go for?
sounds like this new game is going to be an expensive pressie!
thanks again

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Upgrading more the one piece on an older machine is kind of a waste and you'd be better off just buying a new computer. Your computer may be getting old, but it's probably a quality machine, just very weak video card. It's the bare minimum spec on many older games. Agree with the jyjjy. Search for the video card upgrade he mentioned and you should be alright.

edeawillrule

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
ok
old pc
so if I put a new psu in can I go for a better card?
or am i flogging a dead horse as the processor is going to struggle.

New pc what spec should I go for?
sounds like this new game is going to be an expensive pressie!
thanks again

With that Pentium 4 you're pretty much flogging a dead horse. A $400-600 pc will obliterate the one you have now.