No Desktop, Task Bar, Icons on Reboot

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsarrasin

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello,

I have a load screen and goes to the point of the background screen. I have a moveable pointer and the ctrl alt del does not work. Please help

Solution
oh boy! ok, let's see....

consider safe mode as normal windows with minimum things (drivers, services) loaded.
The same way U got to "Last good known config" you go into safe mode.
So, at startup press again F8 and with the arrow keys, select Safe mode, and press Enter.
You will see a lot of files loading on your screen (don't panic, it's normal)
Depending on your computer, the time is usually from a few seconds, to a few minutes (on old pc's)
Just let it load. Once it's done U should be able to enter your user , and you'll see a black screen (no wallpaper) with the word Safe mode in the four corners of the screen.

Now, once in Safe mode, you can sort of restore your PC's previous system settings, by using a little program called...

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
It's weird that the AltCtrlDel doesn't work, but...

Try going into Last good known config (F8 at startup)

It sounds very much like a corrupt user profile.

If Last good... doesn't work, get to safe mode and start>run>msconfig>launch system restore. Choose an earlier date.
If not, U have another user to try?
Or get to safe mode, and create (temporary) a new user (it takes U less then one minute) , restart and open the new user.Does it open normally?
Or if you have a xp cd U could boot from it and do a chkdsk in recovery console.

write again for more info :hello:

dsarrasin

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
Hello

I tried the last config and im still getting the same screen. How do I get into safe mode to be able to start the new set up? At the moment im not asked for a user. I do have a xp cd to try a refresh/restart.

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
oh boy! ok, let's see....

consider safe mode as normal windows with minimum things (drivers, services) loaded.
The same way U got to "Last good known config" you go into safe mode.
So, at startup press again F8 and with the arrow keys, select Safe mode, and press Enter.
You will see a lot of files loading on your screen (don't panic, it's normal)
Depending on your computer, the time is usually from a few seconds, to a few minutes (on old pc's)
Just let it load. Once it's done U should be able to enter your user , and you'll see a black screen (no wallpaper) with the word Safe mode in the four corners of the screen.

Now, once in Safe mode, you can sort of restore your PC's previous system settings, by using a little program called
System restore.
To open it go to Start menu>Run and type

msconfig

and press enter.

Now click the Launch System restore button

You'll see a calendar and you can choose a previous date to restore to and click next.
then it will restart.
Can U go to normal Windows.

We'll talk about the cd only if this doesn't work.

:hello:

Solution

dsarrasin

Honorable
Jul 15, 2012
I just want to say thank you for all the info. I finally got to the system restore and went back a week and a half and that worked. I did an update for virus protection with avast and that is the first time that i have ever had problems with it. Once again thanks for the information and help.

Status
Not open for further replies.