New build booted twice then stopped

Colonel Travis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
New guy here. I've gone over lots of threads but haven't found a solution to my problem. Building a new PC for the first time - the bare bones basics:

CPU - AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Mobo - Asus M4A89GTD Pro/USB3
RAM - 2 sticks of 2GB DDR3
PSU - Corsair 400W

What I've done:
1.) At first, I could not get any activity on the mobo except a green power light. My PSU came with a connector to handle all the front panel wires and mobo speaker. After removing that connector and sticking the individual wires in the board directly, the PC booted into Windows 7 just fine. It updated drivers and I thought all was well when it said to restart. After clicking on "restart" the computer booted again and found 2-3 more drivers. Hit "restart" again, but my computer has not booted ever since. Only thing it does now is the mobo blinks a red LED, which indicates a DRAM problem, according to my mobo guide. You can hit a little button on the board called "Mem OK", which I think is supposed to match up the RAM voltage if there are problems. You're supposed to press and hold for a few seconds. I do that and the red light flashes faster for about 30 seconds or so, then it just stays on. No blinking.

2.) I've tried one stick of RAM in all four slots. Monitor is black every time, sometimes the red light flashes intermittently, sometimes it just stays on all the time. Tried the other stick by itself, same thing.

3.) If I turn the PC on with no RAM, the mobo speaker beeps the code for no RAM present. If I stick RAM in there (again, I've tried all four slots with both sticks, one at a time) there are no beeps. Just the red light.

4.) Only thing hooked up when I do this are the CPU, its fan, the PSU, the case fan, the monitor, the keyboard, one HDD, one stick of RAM.

5.) Cannot find any loose connections. I've unhooked and hooked them several times. 24-pin ATX plugged in, 8-pin ATX plugged in, CPU fan plugged in, front panel wires plugged in.

Why would it boot twice and then not again? I cannot think of anything I did in between those boots. Could it be a mobo short?

Thanks

Try booting the machine and tapping the delete key to get in BIOS and default the BIOS. You can try resetting the CMOS jumper to default the BIOS if you can not get into BIOS. Instructions in the MB manual. If that doesn't work, can you go into BIOS and set the first boot device to DVD and load up the Windows 7 installation disk and do a 'boot repair' from the installation console. Also, once the machine is to windows install the MB CD system drivers. Setting the RAM voltage, speed and timings manually in BIOS is a good idea also.

Colonel Travis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
thanks, badge. Tried clearing the CMOS via jumper and removing the battery. No change. Can't get into the BIOS via the delete key.

I've gone over every step in that link, and it's put together incredibly well. Unfortunately, I've still got the problem. Forgot to mention that when I turn on the power my fans are spinning and I can hear the HDD start to fire up but nothing happens. No beeps, just the red LED.

Also tried a different PSU - doesn't help.

Shut down and unplug the hard drive. Boot back up with no hard drive and try tapping the delete key to get into BIOS. Set the first boot device to DVD and boot the system to the Windows DVD. Do a boot repair. If that doesn't work you might try reseating the video card. Hard to determine if the drivers? yousay downloaded and installed caused the problem or possibly a hardware problem is cauing it. Try unplugging the hard to get to BIOS.

MrMinnaar

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I think you need to get a better power supply, double check the power requirements for the CPU and mobo.
If you're using on board graphics then anything from 480 to about 520 watts should be fine.
If you have added on a graphics card then you should at least have 600 watts or more, depending on the card

If not having enough power is an issue, you can try unplugging the case fans and optical drives creating less 12v power draw. Use one DIMM RAM in slot 1. If you have a speaker connected to the MB speaker header, you may try booting with no RAM in the system and listen for beeps indicating there is no RAM in the system. If no beeps are given, there is a problem with the MB or CPU.

Colonel Travis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
I've got a video card, have not installed it. Mobo came with a VGA switch card to use in place of a card. I got a new PSU (700W) because I realized my 400W wasn't going to cut it for what I'm putting in there. Also went to the store and exchanged the mobo for another one just like it. Installed both and it still does not work.

Bad CPU?

What is the new PSU?

Remove the motherboard from the tower. Place it on a piece of cardboard next to the case. Connect the front panel power switch, CPU, HSF, PSU, and 1 RAM chip. Use the onboard video. Everything else can be unplugged. Then try booting up.

Colonel Travis

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010
new PSU is an OCZ 700W ModXStream

aford10, that's how I'm trying to boot. All I get is a blinking red LED light. I've checked the CPU, cannot find any bent pins, it fits in the slot just fine. Is it possible to get a bad CPU out of the box? Is it possible to get two bad boards in a row from the same store?

The BIOS on that board requires BIOS 1301 or later to support the X6 1055T. There is even a further BIOS upodate to version 1456 of may 2010. I'm sure the board shipped with a much earlier BIOS version than these, there are five versions available dating to 2/11/10. Not sure how you booted to windows that first time, but version 1301 or 1456 are needed to support the processor. Sometimes these ASUS links will not work, but hopefully they will.

copy and paste this address in yiou browser>>>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx

>>>>>>http://support.asus.com/cpusupport/cpusupport.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A89GTD PRO/USB3&product=1&os=29

>>>>>>http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&model=M4A89GTD PRO/USB3&product=1

I think the Gigabyte board had a more recent BIOS that supported the recently released X6 1055T. That ASUS board already has five BIOS revisions and was shipped before your processor was released. So more blame to the store who sold you a board which had a BIOS that didn't support the processor. Glad to hear it. Enjoy it. I wish I had it. 8)