Sign in with
Your question

How do i Flash my MSI X58m Motherboard

Last response: in Motherboards
July 19, 2010 12:40:18 PM

hey any one who could help me with Flashing my motherboard BIOS and istalling a new
version? Reason is when i overclock my i7 920 to 3 ghz or 3.5 it automatically sets the voltage from 1.24 t0 1.35
and its greyed out so i cant keep the voltage to 1.24 or 1.25. Any help will be much thankful for
a c 435 V Motherboard
July 19, 2010 4:16:55 PM

1. Download the msi live update software and save it to your documents file.
2. Install it on your system.
3 Use the "del" key when posting to enter the bios and disable "boot block".
4. Disable all firewalls on your system in windows or your virus protection software.
5. Go online and start the live update software on Msi's website.
6. A small box will appear as the program runs. Don't power down your system or reboot until prompted by the software.
7. Enter the bios and adjust your settings, save and exit.

but first, before you do anything else, check your current bios version on the post screen. If you have the latest version, flashing won't do you any good.
July 20, 2010 5:25:45 AM

Thanks for the reply man :bounce: 
So thats all i got to do wow Ok i will give it a shot and give you
a update on my process. oh my Bios ver is 3.1 so i guess its a bit old
i see the latest ver is 3.6 but i will do procedures you gave me cool
There are 2 versions of live update, one is live update online and the other is live update 3
what one do i take?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
July 20, 2010 12:31:32 PM

As you got an X58 motherboard, you've got a modern one and these usually have flash utilities build into the bios inself. It's much more recommended to use these instead of a windows utility.

And about the problem with voltage, are you really sure a bios update will solve that problem? Have you disabled turbo mode, as it takes over cpu voltage control completely. (It did in my case anyway)
July 21, 2010 5:36:47 AM

Nils said:
As you got an X58 motherboard, you've got a modern one and these usually have flash utilities build into the bios inself. It's much more recommended to use these instead of a windows utility.

And about the problem with voltage, are you really sure a bios update will solve that problem? Have you disabled turbo mode, as it takes over cpu voltage control completely. (It did in my case anyway)

Nope the Bios Update wont help cause i already flashed it from 3.1 to 3.6 and its the same
and yes turbo mode is off so i really dont understand i have been through that bios menu
in and out and all i can say is what the hell i need a Rocket scientist
Oh yes it doaes have a built in flash utiliety but i flashed through windows whent smooth

July 22, 2010 12:42:38 PM

ok for everybody out there who has a MSI X58M Mobo dont be a idiot like me :pt1cable: 

when OC in the Bios just highlight over cpu V core it will be shaded with the rest of the voltage selection, press (+) to lift the voltage and (-) to drop the voltage,
on the numpad and oh yes dont forget that when you OC your CPU your QPI voltage raises too, so make sure your
QPI is Less than your cpu V core
!