Sign in with
Your question

Best case fan: Noctua P12 or S12B FLX

Last response: in Overclocking
July 11, 2012 12:09:50 PM

Hi guys, i'm having huge confusion as to use which fan to use as my case fan. I don't really care about quietness, but i just want to use the model that moves heat the best from my case. Please answer my question which is best fit for case fan, the NF-P12 or NF-S12B FLX?

It would be great if someone could e-mail noctua and get the answer for me, as in my country, it is restricted.

thank you guys,
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 3:00:52 PM

tetra88 said:
Hi guys, i'm having huge confusion as to use which fan to use as my case fan. I don't really care about quietness, but i just want to use the model that moves heat the best from my case. Please answer my question which is best fit for case fan, the NF-P12 or NF-S12B FLX?

It would be great if someone could e-mail noctua and get the answer for me, as in my country, it is restricted.

thank you guys,

Noctua fans are geared to be quite so if you don't care about fan noise level then maybe a different brand would be better suited for you.

But to answer your question, it depends on the restrictiveness of the fan mounts/locations that these fans would be placed. For example if they are placed as an intake on a Corsair 550D which has restricted air passage you would be better off with the NF-P12 as that fan has a higher static pressure. But if they were being used on say a corsair 300r the NF-S-12B would be a better option.

Overall the NF-S12B was built to be mainly used as a case fan but in some cases (no pun intended) where air passage is restricted something with a higher static pressure may perform better. How much better? Hard to say. I'd be interested to see some test with say a quite case like a P280 or 550d and some temperature comparisons with low and high static pressure fans as intakes.
m
l
Related resources
July 11, 2012 3:11:58 PM

skaz said:
Noctua fans are geared to be quite so if you don't care about fan noise level then maybe a different brand would be better suited for you.

But to answer your question, it depends on the restrictiveness of the fan mounts/locations that these fans would be placed. For example if they are placed as an intake on a Corsair 550D which has restricted air passage you would be better off with the NF-P12 as that fan has a higher static pressure. But if they were being used on say a corsair 300r the NF-S-12B would be a better option.

Overall the NF-S12B was built to be mainly used as a case fan but in some cases (no pun intended) where air passage is restricted something with a higher static pressure may perform better. How much better? Hard to say. I'd be interested to see some test with say a quite case like a P280 or 550d and some temperature comparisons with low and high static pressure fans as intakes.

I see so as they say push and pull, the pull is for air intake and push is to output air right? What if the case is not restrictedm say like aerocool predator x, would the s12b flx be better choice than the p12? I just looking around these two choices(since nff12 is best for heatsink), and i want one which removes heat the best, not really for quietness. But it does have to be noctua
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 3:19:23 PM

Push, pull is usually referring to fans on a heatsink, one pushes the air into and over the heatsink fins, and one pulls the air away from the heatsink. For a case I would simple refer to the different spots as intake and exhaust.

Hard to say which is better for that case. The top doesn't look very restrictive assuming you keep the vents open. The intake looks a little restrictive with the hard drive cage.

If you can score a good deal on the P12's I would go with them and run them with the low noise adapter or a fan controller.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 7:43:13 PM

Noctua's are great fans no doubt but seriously overpriced.

They also look like sh :ouch:  :pfff:  IMO.
m
l
!