I5-3570 or i5-3570K; which cooler?

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
  • Processors
  • Intel i5
Last response: in Overclocking
July 11, 2012 1:13:30 PM

Hey guys, what is the main difference between those two processors? I don't really plan on doing any after-market overclocking. However, if I end up feeling adventurous, it will be a very minimal overclock at best. Out of the box, are the two processors the same; they will both provide me with exactly identical specs? One says something like "HD Graphics 2500" while the other says "HD Graphics 4000". What does that mean?

Also, I am sort of in a limbo between the CM 212 Evo, and the NH-D14. With none-to-very little overclocking, will the Evo suit me just fine (also a bit cheaper)?

More about : 3570 3570k cooler

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 2:04:58 PM

The main differance is that the k chip has an unlocker multiplier for overclocking.

The k also has better onboard graphics, HD4000.

Depending on your case and airflow either of those coolers would work, the Noctua is more powerful and more expensive.

Have you thought about the Corsair H80/H100 coolers?

From my neck of the woods there doesn't seem to be a lot in it price wise so I say pick up a 3570k.
July 11, 2012 2:08:48 PM

Yeah, from here there is only about $22 that separates them.

Will the on-board graphics even matter much if I am getting an EVGA GTX670 FTW?

Also, I have decided to get the HAF X case, while upgrading the exhaust fans to the Megaflow series. I have considered the H100 series, but sort of decided against even the minimal amount of risk of adding liquid to the system. Also, the air coolers don't rank to much further behind the H-series coolers.
Related resources
July 11, 2012 3:49:25 PM

Would anyone else happen to have any input, please?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 7:38:37 PM

Sorry just me again. :D 

The HAFX is a great case with some serious airflow.

I have used quite a few powerful air coolers inc Ven X, Zalman Max and Silver Arrow.

Having now switched to an H100 it is most definately a superior cooling piece of equipment.

It also means less mass in the case resulting in less stress on the mobo and a less restricted airflow, I have found anyway.

I would seriously consider the H80 or H100, especially with the airflow of the HAFX, should still keep your board and chipset nice and cool.

And def go for the K chip, true enough you wont need the enhanced onboard graphics but after a while you may fancy a bit of OC and the k chip is the one to have.
July 11, 2012 7:48:03 PM

Isn't there a bit of a risk with the H100? lol. I think I will for sure get the K, considering the price difference is minimal.

July 11, 2012 7:55:19 PM

Also, the H-series cooler would put my machine over the comfortable budget I have allowed myself, considering I have no peripherals or monitor as of right now, so that would all have to be bought new.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 7:57:52 PM

Is there a bit of a risk crossing the road??

Corsair, top brand, not the 1st release, warranty, serious cooling power, reasonable price, easy to fit.

Its entirely up to you of course, there are some great air coolers but having switched I am seriously impressed.

If its down to cash then you can't go too far wrong with the 212 Evo.
July 11, 2012 9:15:01 PM

I may just stick with the Evo, since I won't be overclocking anywhere near the 4.7 or whatever.

Also, off-topic, would you have a decent monitor to suggest? These are the ones I a looking at so far:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Productcompare.aspx?Submi...

My budget for a monitor is about $200.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 11, 2012 9:58:47 PM

Yeah the Evo should be fine.

I have always stuck with Samsung and Iiyama monitors.

Do you need HDMI?
July 11, 2012 11:47:42 PM

I would prefer hdmi so I can guarantee true HD. I think my only concern would be to get a monitor that will have no ghosting.
July 12, 2012 12:59:13 AM

Samsung is good, HP is good, I just got 2 Dell 23' monitors from walmart from work and they even look real nice. Probably your best bet would be to go to like best buy and physically see the monitors in action, jot a few down you like then do some heavy review reading.
July 12, 2012 1:26:13 AM

Yeah, I would much rather be able to see the monitor in person. The only electronic store I have in my area is Best Buy, and I know that their in-store selection isn't nearly as large as online.
July 12, 2012 2:38:23 AM

Better bet to go with the k. No the hd 4000 graphics won't compare to a 670, but still better to go with the unlocked chip.

Wy buy an aftermarket CPU cooler, when you're not going to overclock?
July 12, 2012 2:44:09 AM

If I dont overclock at all, is there any need at all to buy an aftermarket CPU co
July 12, 2012 2:46:34 AM

Cooler. I hate typing on an iPhone.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 6:52:25 AM

Keeps your cpu cooler and is quieter.
July 12, 2012 12:33:22 PM

Yeah, I know what they do. I just wasn't sure if I'm not an overclocking enthusiast, if I really need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Or, if the temperatures they still provide should be in my interest.
July 12, 2012 2:55:36 PM

I would go for a 3570 if you're not doing a lot of over clocking and you're getting a gtx670, although you may want consider getting a 3570k in case you choose to OC instead of upgrade in a few years or so. The graphics on the cpu are only good for video encoding, so if for any reason you see yourself doing a lot of it, definitely go for the 3570k.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
July 12, 2012 5:15:38 PM

bw85 said:
Yeah, I know what they do. I just wasn't sure if I'm not an overclocking enthusiast, if I really need an aftermarket CPU cooler. Or, if the temperatures they still provide should be in my interest.

Either way thats 2 good reasons to have one.
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
October 24, 2012 5:07:36 PM

bw85 said:

There is another significand differences between 3570 and 3570K.
The 1st one is able to operate in both 32/64bit modes.
The "K" version operates only in 64bit.
!