yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I just purchased a CPU/Mobo i7 930 and was running some tests on it with prime 95, small FFT...

nWb4s.jpg

The temperatures seem to jump right up.

The max on each core is almost at 100'C.... and the CPUTIN was 84'C... Is this something to be concerned about?

I'm using stock heatsink and an antec 900 case (with 6 fans on full). I'm using an asus P6T with all stock settings

Thanks.

Yes that is extremely high. I would never let it go above 60C. What is your CPU cooler setup? There is thermal compound on it right? No overclocking?
If you checked all that, when you touch the heatsink while running prime95, does it feel like it is that hot? There is a possibility of a misreading.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I ran it again while touching the heatsink, i felt no change in temperature, even as the cores rose to 90'C again. I didn't apply any thermal compound because I'm under the impression that theres some already applied on the bottom of the heatsink. I didn't do any overclocking, its all stock settings.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Also, I lifted the heatsink up to discover that the thermal paste from the heatsink was applied (I'm guessing it melted on from the heatsink?). I just don't understand why the heatsink doesnt feel a bit hot even though these temps jump right up.

whatelsematters

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2010
make sure to review the instructions on installing your cooler, if the heatsink is not absorbing heat there's a possibility it was mounted incorrectly. maybe go back and do a re-seat (slowly, carefully) and make sure the HSF is getting enough downforce.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I'll try another reseat. What should I be looking for with numbers... CPUTIN im guessing it the cpu as a whole? as far as each cores go, what would be a reasonable max temp when running prime 95 with min fpu

Anything under 60C. Thermal limit of the i7 is 67.9C. I'm unsure of the temperature when it starts throttling itself.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
Ok, I reseated it again and received this (ran it exactly 5 minutes for small FPU):

CsBC4.jpg

I guess it looks a little better?

I ordered a new heatsink (arctic cooling freezer 7 pro) as well as some thermal paste (and thermal paste remover) to replace the intel stock one.

Do you guys think the new results are acceptable? Since I reseated it, do I need to reapply thermal paste?

I just hope I didn't damage it from all those initial stress tests I did previously.

Those are a little bit better your proble now i would say your thermal compound I recommend getting some Artic Silver 5. Take the heatsink out clean off any paste that was on there with Alcohol i use alcohol swabs but a Q-tip and a napkin will work too. Put a dab of paste about the size of a BB and i use an ol credit card and create a thin layer as thin as you can get it. If that dosent get the temps down get an after market cooler will cost 30 to 50 bux but is worth it because the I7 creates a massive amount of heat and if you dont cool it properly that cpus life will be severely shortened.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Thats exactly what I purchased... As well as the after market arctic cooling freezer 7 pro

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008
Those temps are still totally unacceptable. What is your ambient temp (temperature outside of the case, ie: in your office/room)? I'm pretty sure the max safe temp is around 68-72c... Even a stock cooler should keep you well under those temps. Something isn't right. :/

Another thing that helps is to make sure your fan on the back of your case is an exhaust. Meaning its shooting air out of the case, and is helping pull air through the heatsink. Even then I don't see that making this much of a difference, especially in your case.

is your second batch of temps on your new cooler? If not then the arctic cooler should save you. Its a decent cooler for the price, kept my e8400 under or around 60c loaded @ 4ghz.

yoyoma1111

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I have an antec 1200 case with 6 case fans (3 of which are facing the processor). The room is at 68'F.

at idle, the cpuin is at 29'C and max core is 40'C... but this is only at idle.

I guess i could try to reseat it again, unless the thermal paste needs to be reapplied (after i lifted the heatsink up).

I should also note that the case fans are manual control, so i keep them at low