how to get rid of ISearch toolbar in IE

September 29, 2004 4:10:57 AM

How do I get rid of the ISEARCH toolbar that keeps popping up in IE. If I
try to uninstall it from the control panel, it says it can't find a certain
file.

More about : rid isearch toolbar

Anonymous
September 29, 2004 10:44:56 PM

Neil,

iSearch seem to make entries to HOSTS file as well. Rename the file named
"HOSTS" (without a file extension). This tip is from MVP Mike Burgess. The
HOSTS file will be present in the following location:

Windows XP=C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Windows 2K=C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\ETC
Win 98\ME=C:\WINDOWS

Just rename the HOSTS file to OLDHOSTS and try the remaining part of the
advice.

[More Information]
Toolbars are locked - Unable to customize toolbar and tool band:
http://209.68.48.119/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/IEFAQ.htm

[Spyware removers - This part not to be skipped]

Lavasoft Ad-Aware - www.lavasoftusa.com
SpyBot S&D - http://www.safer-networking.org/
CWShredder : http://www.spywareinfo.com/~merijn/files/CWShredder.exe

[All about HOSTS file]
Blocking Unwanted Parasites with a Hosts File:
http://209.68.48.119/winhelp2002/hosts.htm
http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hosts.htm

--
Ramesh, MS-MVP XP Shell/UI
http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k

"Neil K" <nkaufman@charter.net> wrote in message
How do I get rid of the ISEARCH toolbar that keeps popping up in IE. If I
try to uninstall it from the control panel, it says it can't find a certain
file.
Anonymous
September 30, 2004 4:26:21 AM

look if you can see an Isearch taskbar checked, ifso,
check the box out...
2nd thing you can do is look in de c:p rogram files and
find out if you find anything strange that is not
standard installed by you...
3rd thing you can do is look for running processes in the
register. by run-> regedit
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE->SOFTWARE->MICROSOFT->WINDOWS->CURRENT
VERSION-> RUN, see if you can see the running proces of
the ISEARCH toolbar., ifso, delete the value of the key,
by selecting it, and delete it,
And install, a program that scans your pc on spyware...

Hope it works
September 30, 2004 10:15:36 AM

Google the following, install them and run them frequently.
Adaware SE
CWShredder
Spybot Search and Destroy
Also use a good firewall and virus scanner.

--
Peter.
Toronto, Canada.

!